• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Recommended brush for ears?? Photo or link?

GraciesMom

I think that I just do not have the right brush for keeping her ear fur in good shape and preventing matting behind the ears. It works great for the overall coat, but not so good for ears. I can't seem to find a PHOTO or link to what is recommended for keeping the ear fur combed out and untangled. I had to cut out a matted area today and thought I was doing a good job with regular brushing. The ear fur also does just not look like it should after brushing. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi

Probably the best overall brush for our Cavaliers would be a good Mason Pearson or a Chris Christenson ,have a browse they will show up .:)

I use a RESCO brand metal comb for the ears area. It's very nice and smooth, and does a great job getting the tangles out; definitely worth the price, too. I've had ours for ever, as we used to use it on our Shih Tzu. It is probably 18 years old and still looks new. From a quick 'net search, here is a link https://www.a1petsupply.com/secure_html/aa-resco2.htm and the #200 model looks to be the one I use. It has one-inch teeth.

31H9JEJE7ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Once I get the tangles out, I use a slicker brush.
pPETS-5680323t400.jpg

And FWIW, I sometimes have to cut out bad matting behind the ears, anyway.

Last edited:
I use the brush below, it is a combination of soft and hard nylon bristles on the same side. It is small so fine for using behind the ears. I find that I don't need to use any combs or anything that is more abrasive. I also use groomers detangling spray which I work in with my fingers. I have also known people to use guinnea pig finger brushes
for behind the ears, (I havn't tried that.) Any little knots I snip out with curved baby scissors.

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/d...i-porcupine-bristle-brush.html?ref=googlebase

http://www.viovet.co.uk/p8432/Groomers_Ltd-_Groom_and_Detangle_Spray-_250ml/product_info.html

Thank you soooo much Waldor and Tania!

I will check these out. I do have the slicker brush like Waldor has, but no comb. I also will check out the brush link from Tania. We had to cut out some matted area today and was not fun!

Found it...

This looks great too!

Hi

Probably the best overall brush for our Cavaliers would be a good Mason Pearson or a Chris Christenson ,have a browse they will show up .:)

Going to check into detangling spray as well. Did not know that they made this! Will check out USA supplies of this too.

I had to resort to the furminator today as my guys had really bad matting behind their ears. I also rubbed the groomers spray in with my fingers and it did the trick although I did have to cut bits and pieces here and there.

I had to resort to the furminator today as my guys had really bad matting behind their ears. I also rubbed the groomers spray in with my fingers and it did the trick although I did have to cut bits and pieces here and there.

I have this stuff on my list today to buy, along with a good comb and a different brush as well. Everyone has been so helpful!!!! :lotsaluv:

I just use the furminator. It makes his ears thin, but it cuts out on the mats. As soon as I see a tangle develop, I also pull it out with the furminator. At least he doesn't have a bunch of scissors marks on his ears.

Just got a Furminator and several items recommended here!

Got some mats out with detangler and a good comb.... took lots of patience and some trimming too. Have not tried the Furminator yet .... any tips besides maybe not using it often on her ears??

If she's not a show cavalier, just use the furminator. It is awesome. It will take care of the mats and if one should develop and you can catch earlier, it will pull it right out.

People who show their cavaliers probably wouldn't use it because it strips the hair, pulling out the looser hairs (I think). It doesn't hurt the dog or anything. I think it is made for dogs with undercoats and is good for the fine hair on the ears.

I had the comb that the breeder recommended and I just couldn't keep the mats from forming. I would comb his hair and then later the same day he would get mat!!

CooperLove

Thank you so much! I love your little Ruby sweetie. I am not showing Gracie for sure, so will definitely use the Furminator. Behind the ears is the toughest part from what I can tell. Got some bad mats in there so fast! THANK YOU

I wouldn't use the furminator ON the ears, I use it behind the ears where the matting gets bad. I also use it on my ruby, Charlie's, coat as it strips the dead hair away.

I wouldn't use the furminator ON the ears, I use it behind the ears where the matting gets bad. I also use it on my ruby, Charlie's, coat as it strips the dead hair away.

Thanks! this is what I did very gently today... helped me remove some tricky mats very gently and then used it on her main coat.

Back