• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Just Joined!

BrooklynMom

Hi everyone :)
I just wanted to introduce myself...my name is Kelsey and I have a new 17 week old Cavalier named Brooklyn. We live in Sydney, Australia with my hubby as well. She is the cutest thing every (though a crazy puppy too!). This is the first time both my husband and I have owned a dog, so I was hoping to find some advice, support and common cavalier chat here :luv:

I will post a pic once I figure out how!

A few questions...can you all explain life with your puppy? Brooklyn is hyper, is that normal? She is either hyper, or asleep on my lap, ha ha. It is one or the other, but I think that is probably a lot of the "puppy" in her...though I would like to know everyone experience with your cav puppies. Right now she sleeps through the night, quiet in her little "room" and we are working on the potty training which is going quiet well. Walking on a leash is a whole other story, she pulls like she is a Great Dane! :p

I have a lot of other questions too, but I will save them for future posts, ha. Glad to have this board...it is such a great thing!!

How adorable! I have a little girl about the same age. She sounds perfectly normal activity wise. For pulling, if you aren't already using a harness switch now. Second, the way my trainer had us work on loose lead walking was to stop any time she pulls, once she stops you can start walking, calmly, again. It's slow going at first, but definitely worth it.

Welcome Kelsey and Brooklyn,
She's beautiful. I agree a harness is the way to go. Enjoy your puppy and have lots of fun with her. They are the best dogs. You will find a lot of advice on this site.

For pulling, if you aren't already using a harness switch now. Second, the way my trainer had us work on loose lead walking was to stop any time she pulls, once she stops you can start walking, calmly, again. It's slow going at first, but definitely worth it.
Hi and welcome, she is lovely. I would second what Soushiruiuma has written above, it definitely worked for my Bosco, and pulling is best sorted out when your dog is still very young, before it becomes a bad habit :paw:

WSelcome to the forum

I am new as well but have had very good luck with this site. People are so friendly and willing to help. Good luck. Kelsey is adorable. I have a 3 1/2 year olf Ruby Male and I still can't get a pic to post. Can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Oh well . .

Hello

And welcome ,Brooklyn is a smasher and I fully agree a harness is best but personally I don't like the pull over the head ones like Puppia i much prefer the step in type . :)

Gorgeous pup. Yea puppies are hyper. We have two dogs both 3 and they still get hyper usually after I put baba up to bed ha ha!!

Back