• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

itchy

theresa d

just wondering if anyone has experience of their cav having an intense itch that isn't related to SM? Bella, 3 plus, seems to have an intensive itch on her left side only,looks like she's scratching around her ribcage with her back leg. she does it every day and i've posted up before as I am worried it could be caused by SM but I would like to rule out any other cause first. I only have her since November and I know nothing of her history.Vet suggested bathing her with malasab/hibiscrub twice a week and initially we had 2 full days of no scratching and then it returned,i carried out the washing for 3 weeks and then gave up. I frontlined her also. She has no visible skin irritation or walking dandruff. The other day I washed her in normal shampoo and the itching got worse so i've gone back to the hibiscrub again and I intend trying this again twice weekly for the next few weeks. It has me almost gone mad worrying about her. She doesnt display any other SM symptoms like yelping or anything,but when we go out eg to the vets she really stands out as she constantly scratches making a thumping noise on the ground with her back leg,maybe it's a nervous thing?? Dont know where to go from here if the bathing doesnt relieve her,please help!

Mm... Thats a tough one. The scratching at the ribcage (air guitar style) and thumping on the floor are quiet typical SM behaviour.. If skin issues are ruled out
it may be worth a trip to a neurologist. Dont panick, even if it is SM related, the fact that this would be her only symptom is good news. There are lots of SM dogs on here as u know, which are succesfully managed on meds.

Mm... Thats a tough one. The scratching at the ribcage (air guitar style) and thumping on the floor are quiet typical SM behaviour.. If skin issues are ruled out
it may be worth a trip to a neurologist. Dont panick, even if it is SM related, the fact that this would be her only symptom is good news. There are lots of SM dogs on here as u know, which are succesfully managed on meds.

I think its worth a visit or at least more thought but like lynn said there are many who are managing on medication

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

My cavi does the same except he itches everywhere. He is only 5.5 months so I just keep hoping if some skin things and it will get better. I`m taking him to the breeder so she can observe his behaviour for and day and then we are going to go from there because I feel like I`ve tried everything for the itching :( I hope for you and I that it is just dry skin from the winter..

I also had this behaviour in my very first Cavalier and was initially told that it was probably caused by the central heating ...or the bedding.....or the washing powder on her towels.....or dust mites.....or....you get the picture?

In the end (and thank goodness for it) someone told me about anal glands and how they need regularly checking and/or emptying. Once I knew that I have never looked back (so to speak :shock:)

Twenty years later kick scratching at the rib cage is still one of my main indicators that the girls need their glands emptying. They do it far more often than scooting their bums on the carpet, which is often given as the main sign.

It might also be worth looking at diet, as a maize-based food can cause over-heating and therefore scratching (battery hens are given maize in the winter to keep them warm!). If you're feeding a dry food, a rice or potato based diet often suits Cavaliers better, especially ones like James Wellbeloved or Burns that don't have added colorants or preservatives. Although you don't - as has happened with some on this forum - want to waste years hunting for other reasons for scratching, there are alternative causes to SM that need to be eliminated (rapidly!).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I think I remember you writing about this before. I had Trapper allergy tested (by a simple blood test) and he is allergic to house dust mites. He has a monthly injection, called 'Immunotherapy' to help with his itch. It might be worth mentioning allergy testing to your vet, but I would also ask about SM. Print out the info on Karlins page to show the vet if you think he/she might not be familiar with SM.

What I found to be really helpful was taking a video on my phone to show the vet what the scratching is like, because, as sure as eggs are eggs, she probably doesn't do it when you are at the surgery :rolleyes:
I think its a good idea to look at her food as Kate suggested, and also, think of giving her a fish oil supplement, I have found Kronch really good overall for their skin and coats, you can buy it online in Ireland from here:
www.doggiesandmoggies.ie
Good luck, hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Last edited:
this is all great advice thanks. I have another Cav who gets colitis so I give them both the same food,burns fish & brown rice,gluten free,wheat free and hypoallergenic. they get salmon oil on their brekkie every morning and sardines once a week so as far as diet goes I dont think I can do much more. I have noticed her anal glands need emptying quite frequently,monthly maybe and I do it myself when I bath her,today is a good day,not much scratching and she was bathed 2 days ago and had glands done so maybe it's all related?? hopefully! I am defiantly going to ask the vet about the allergy testing. I hope your 5.5mth old gets sorted too,its so frustrating and worrying. I have no insurance either so thats a worry,I wont be able to get it now either as I have mentioned SM to my vet already so I'm pretty sure they wont sign off for me. I'll keep posting progress and I know I'll get loads of support on here if worst comes to worst!

Back