• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why microchips are so important!

tara

We "rescued" a little yorkie today. I was picking up my daughter from school and saw a tiny little yorkie wondering along a very busy street. We stopped and scooped her up -- very sweet little dog who was obviously someone's pet. We took her to the nearest animal clinic where they scanned her for a microchip (she was not wearing a collar). Sure enough, her information popped up from her chip and her owner was called.

Turns out the owner was out of the country, but had a house sitter watching little "Lucia." The house sitter was beside herself with relief that her little charge had been found. The woman said Lucia slipped out when she went to retrieve the mail.

So ... please make sure your dogs are microchipped and that the information associated with that chip is current and correct. We recently moved to Florida, and I just now realized Holly's microchip information is not current. A big lesson learned for me today!!! I'm so relieved little Lucia found her home!

I had a similar situation, picked up a Pomeranian who was running in the road. No collar, but was able to get her home because she was microchipped.

Another thought...I had my dog microchiped and every few vet visits I had them check his chip. Two years ago they couldn't scan it! I had another one inserted. Always make sure the vet can scan the chip.

Another thought...I had my dog microchiped and every few vet visits I had them check his chip. Two years ago they couldn't scan it! I had another one inserted. Always make sure the vet can scan the chip.

My vet checks my dogs' chips each year when they have their health check. They have all stayed in place.

You know, I haven't had this done for Claire, and I need to. As diligent as we are, accidents DO happen. What is the standard cost for microchipping? (not that it matters, just wanting to be prepared)

You know, I haven't had this done for Claire, and I need to. As diligent as we are, accidents DO happen. What is the standard cost for microchipping? (not that it matters, just wanting to be prepared)

I usually see them listed for $25-35 here. Shelters will often offer them for less, around $10.

Back