• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What can we do to save the cavalier breed

anniemac

I thought I posted this thread but I wanted to start a new thread on what can we do. I want new thread on what we can do positively. There are good and bad in everything including breeders. I feel that nothing good comes from blaming people. Since the question was asked if we still would want cavaliers at the expense of them suffering, what can we do to help?

This is how I feel

Research is a given.

Education of the health conditions not just for current owners but potential buyers of the importance of choosing a breeder and what to ask.

Finding or creating a list of breeders who follow protocols even if there are no guarantees of the health of the puppy but they need to be the role models so others will follow.

Starting a fundraiser or spreading the word like cavalier matters and Rupert's fund

Educating your vet.

Please add to this because I would like to find positive things to do.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I agree with all of the above.
Also those of us who have mri'd our cavaliers can help with research by sending our results to
[email protected]

The info from the scans will contribute to the EBV database which hopes to help breeders to breed away from SM over the coming generations.They just don't have enough scans to make it happen soon,but if the overseas members of this forum have cavaliers with UK bloodlines not too far behind their dogs,it would certainly help.
You would also need to attach a copy of a 5 gen pedigree if you have it.
Sins

I thought I posted this thread but I wanted to start a new thread on what can we do. I want new thread on what we can do positively. There are good and bad in everything including breeders. I feel that nothing good comes from blaming people. Since the question was asked if we still would want cavaliers at the expense of them suffering, what can we do to help?

This is how I feel

Research is a given.

Education of the health conditions not just for current owners but potential buyers of the importance of choosing a breeder and what to ask.

Finding or creating a list of breeders who follow protocols even if there are no guarantees of the health of the puppy but they need to be the role models so others will follow.

Starting a fundraiser or spreading the word like cavalier matters and Rupert's fund

Educating your vet.

Please add to this because I would like to find positive things to do.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

WHAT CAN WE DO TO SAVE THE CAVALIER BREED

Annie,

You have really covered every-thing about how our Cavalier Breed could be saved.

With the Research into SM and MVD ,the most important thing is the finding of the Genes causing both SM and MVD,until this happens there will be many more Cavalier Carriers being Bred who are carrying those Genes.

Also as you say get the Prospective Cavalier Buyers made aware about how Serious the SM and MVD Problems are Afflicting the Cavalier Breed, and they should only buy a Cavalier from a Breeder who has Health Tested and followed the Breeding Guidelines for those Two Diseases ,and to see the Proof that this has been done, if this can't be done ,go to a Cavalier Breeder who can do this.

Hopefully Margaret's new Web Site will be able to fill the Vacuum where this is so badly needed.

Bet

Back