• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cocking his leg

SophieLightyear

Hey everyone,
Was just wondering when dogs usually start cocking their leg as Benji is just over 6 months and hasn't started doing it yet? Even though i think that's for the best as he's not always stable on four legs. hehe.

Any day now is the answer! I've just been through this with my fella,he's 8mts and he's been cocking his leg on just about everything in the house marking his territory. had him neutered last week and no more marking,thank god for that!

My last dog was a male who was neutered at 10 months of age, and he never cocked his leg! My fiance's parents neutered their mini schnauzer at the age of 3 years old and now at 5 he continues to cock his leg and still loves marking everything outside. Even when he was not neutered, they trained him well that marking inside was not ok.

So to answer your question, he might start tomorrow, or he may never do it!

Jasper doesn't cock his leg and he's 17 months old. He just leans forward a bit like Holly but not as low to the ground. I have heard that if they are desexed at 6 months they don't cock their leg? Don't know how true that is though.

My puppy is nearly 10 months old now and started like others have said at around 6 months old. He used to cock his leg when out and squat in the garden, now he cocks his leg up at everything.

Murphy is going to be 5 at the end of the month, and he has never cocked his leg :D

He was neutered at 6 months.

Cocking their legs to pee is something that dogs learn from watching other dogs, and don't necessarily seem to do naturally, so they may be slow to learn if they live with bitches or don't meet many other males. Aled, for instance, coming from a puppy farm where he doesn't seem to have mixed with other dogs, took about 12 months of watching Oliver to start cocking his leg, but still doesn't always do it.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

We live in a high-rise apartment so Skippy is litter-box trained. He's 1.5 yrs old now but I can't remember exactly when he first raised his leg. Outside, he usually raises his leg. At home in his litter box he sometimes raises, sometimes bends lower.

Thanks for letting me know. I was just wondering out of curosity. He's going to get neutered tomorrow so we'll see what happens. :)

My Golden never ever cocked his leg. Max was neutered at six months and started cocking his leg (and marking) at 10 months. He only cocks his leg when he is marking though when he is just having a pee he doesn't. Rylie rarely cocks his leg and he wasn't neutered until he was 12 months so based on that totally non-scientific data I personally don't believe that neutering has an effect one way or another.

Both of ours are neutered around 7 months, Sam cocks his leg but Charlie doesnt. Is a strange one!

Back