• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Where to buy Vitamin E for dogs?

Erin2854

I've been reading the benefits of giving your dog a daily dose of vitamin E (about 200 IU for a cavalier) but can't seem to find anywhere to buy it?? I always hear it is not safe to give human vitamins to dogs, but I keep doing a search for "Order vitamin E for dogs" online and nothing comes up! Any ideas? I am also giving my 2 year old cavalier a daily vitamin of 30mg of CQ10. I'm just wanting to start early prevention. Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know where you're based, but Dorwest Herbs do this

http://www.dorwest.com/Catalogue/Dietary-Supplements/Wheatgerm-Oil-LIQUID

and from my reading online cold pressed vegetable oils such as safflower and wheatgerm are a good source of vitamin E

You may find that it is contained in a multi-vitamin rather than on its own.

Edited to add: I googled "vitamin E for dogs" and came up with some articles about the benefits, and eventually some companies that sell it as part of a multi-vit complex.

Hi
I have been giving the girls vit e daily for many
Years bought two tubs last week from Holland and
Battery for 18 pounds i think they were 200 mu and
250 per bottle will check when I get home.

Denes have all the canine vitamins you might need. They used to sell them in most health food shops, but I have always used the ones for humans and none of my dogs have shown any ill effects :D

Vitamin e, 200 i.u. are on the shelves at Tesco and I think Wilkinson's have them too. Vitamin e is said to be really good in keeping hearts healthy, as is Evening Primrose Oil, but a tinned sardine or two added to the food once or twice a week will do just as well.

I have recently purchased vitamins for both the dogs and myself from ZipVit (just google it). They are packed in plastic zipped bags, hence the name and very competitively priced.

Thanks for all the replys! I'm actually located in the US (although I am familiar with the stores and brands you mentioned as I have alot of family in the UK and have visited often!) and I do see various multivitamins that have vitamin E but its always a minimal amount (like 5 or 15 IU). I have found a few sources for human vitamin E 200IU at a few stores near me. Most of them say it's derived from soybean oil. Is this ok? thanks again :)

It's completely untrue that you can't give "human" vitamins/supplements to dogs. Vitamins are vitamins - I've used "human" supplements/vitamins for dogs for 25 years. Human products generally are much less expensive and have much better quality control than canine products.

I use Puritan's Pride (order from their internet site) for supplements/vitamins for all of my dogs and for myself. I spent a good bit of time researching companies in relation to their quality control - published assays of their products - since there is no FDA control of supplements/vitamins. In other words - do the products contain what the labels state that they contain.

I get Co-Q10, 200 IU vitamin E (be sure to use natural and not synthetic vitamin E), omega 3 fish oil capsules and glucosamine/chondroitin products from Puritan's Pride. I don't like "combination" products for the reasons that you stated - most have way too little amount of what you want to give, and they contain other items that you don't want to give. Combination products combine a little bit of everything along with the proverbial "kitchen sink."

Similarly, we use "human" medications for dogs - I purchase almost all prescription medications for the dogs at human pharmacies for the same reasons as above - much cheaper and better quality control.

Pat

It's completely untrue that you can't give "human" vitamins/supplements to dogs. Vitamins are vitamins - I've used "human" supplements/vitamins for dogs for 25 years. Human products generally are much less expensive and have much better quality control than canine products.

I use Puritan's Pride (order from their internet site) for supplements/vitamins for all of my dogs and for myself. I spent a good bit of time researching companies in relation to their quality control - published assays of their products - since there is no FDA control of supplements/vitamins. In other words - do the products contain what the labels state that they contain.

I get Co-Q10, 200 IU vitamin E (be sure to use natural and not synthetic vitamin E), omega 3 fish oil capsules and glucosamine/chondroitin products from Puritan's Pride. I don't like "combination" products for the reasons that you stated - most have way too little amount of what you want to give, and they contain other items that you don't want to give. Combination products combine a little bit of everything along with the proverbial "kitchen sink."

Similarly, we use "human" medications for dogs - I purchase almost all prescription medications for the dogs at human pharmacies for the same reasons as above - much cheaper and better quality control.

Pat

Thank you Pat that is useful to know :razz:

Back