PDA

View Full Version : Meeting for relaunch of Irish Cavalier Rescue

Karlin
22nd February 2011, 03:35 PM
I have posted about this in a couple of places but also want to put a notice up here. :)

This Sunday at noon I have organized a meeting to be held at Dog Training Ireland in Blanchardstown to help form a new group to take over Cavalier breed rescue in Ireland, as I am unable to do this any longer. I've run it primarily on my own for seven years now with much support from volunteers, many of whom have a fairly good sense of what is involved without perhaps having a complete picture.

It would be fantastic to organize a new group that can take over this responsibility and continue to give support to the breed. Dogs can arrive in a variety of ways, from general rescue groups, from national groups, from pounds, breeders, owners, and welfare cases. Sometimes there can be many weeks in between being contacted about a new case, and sometimes there can be several dogs coming in in a short period–it varies greatly. I have homed several hundred dogs now, and the good news is that I have never been unable to find a home for any dog, no matter the age or potential issues. There is always a home for every dog needing one, and it always shows up sooner or later. :)

I am hoping to get a group together to talk through how I've run rescue, what a new group can expect, what I see as best practice, and to supply all of the contacts I have built up over many years. I will be there in the background to help in future as a new group gets underway.

I would invite anyone with any interest in the breed and rescue to come along on Sunday for tea and coffee and some sandwiches. As always there is a need for interested fosters, people who can do transport, and for the new group, all sorts of skills would be helpful, from someone who can post up new dogs to the Facebook page and website to people who can just make phone calls, organize homing applications, set up a vet appointment for a dog, etc. Also feel free to come along if you aren't sure whether you want to do anything, but just want to meet other people interested in the breed and consider whether you might want to get involved at some future point.

Right now because I am unable to do rescue, there is no support specifically for the breed and I have had to turn away several dogs (all of which are safe and will be re-homed, but it would be better if breed rescue could take these cases off the hands of very overworked and overcrowded general rescue groups). So it is really important to try to get a new group up and away as soon as possible.

I am trying to compile a list of people who will definitely be coming along as I don't want to show up out there and just have a couple of people turn up–this won't be enough to get a new group started and if people can't come on Sunday, I would rather postpone the meeting until later next month. However, I don't want to put this off for too much longer and leave this breed rescue gap in Ireland.

So please let me know either through this post or one of my others elsewhere, if you plan to come along. :)

Karlin
23rd February 2011, 12:55 PM
OK, not enough people can make this meeting so we are postponing until later next month. As soon as we can confirm a good day, I will post it and then all are invited to come along. :)

Karlin
23rd February 2011, 03:38 PM
Now considering whether to do this on Sunday for an initial group -- looks like we have half a dozen or so. Then hold a second meeting in March. I will update as soon as a decision is taken!

Karlin
23rd February 2011, 03:59 PM
OK this is BACK ON for noon this Sunday at Dog Training Ireland. ALL WELCOME!!

Karlin
26th February 2011, 12:58 PM
If you are coming tomorrow (Sunday) to the ICR meeting, be sure to check the www.dogtrainingireland.ie website for directions as it can be hard to find and if the gate is closed, just buzz to have security open it. :) Starting at noon!

RodRussell
26th February 2011, 02:41 PM
Here is hoping you get a crowd tomorrow, Karlin. The more who volunteer, the easier each one's job becomes.

Karlin
26th February 2011, 03:08 PM
That's so true! I think we will have a good core group to start with and all are welcome. Thanks for the good wishes! :)

Fifer
26th February 2011, 03:36 PM
I'd like to wish the group a productive meeting tomorrow and every success in the future. They have the benefit of the founders experience and support, that will give them a huge advantage.

Slainte!!

Wagtails
26th February 2011, 05:45 PM
I'm also keeping everything crossed that you will be able to get a new Irish Cavalier Rescue out of this initial meeting and any others that may come later. Good luck evryone :d*g:

Tania
26th February 2011, 09:12 PM
Good luck will be thinking of you.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/5161578536_ff364b5466.jpg

Nicki
26th February 2011, 09:29 PM
Good luck for tomorrow, it is so important that the breed rescue is set up again. With all Karlin's hard work and dedication in the past, that will make the job of the new people involved much easier.

Thank you to everyone who has helped in any way in the past, and a HUGE thank you to those who are prepared to help in the future.

Karlin
27th February 2011, 10:14 PM
Good meeting today and a group should now begin to take form -- and will welcome support from prospective fosters/transporters/etc!

The existing resources (website and Facebook page etc) should remain basically the same.

edel
27th February 2011, 11:44 PM
Count me in for transport in Cork Karlin

Nicki
28th February 2011, 11:43 AM
Great news Karlin, you were in our thoughts :thmbsup:

sins
28th February 2011, 12:08 PM
There will always be a spot here for any cavalier in the Cork area or surrounding counties in need of foster.
Sins