• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Could he have an infection?

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that Harvey seems to be peeing alot more the last few days and I am wondering if maybe he could have a UTI. For example this evening after a nap I brought him outside and he did a decent pee but after only being back in the house he went again and then again (he went 4 more times in the house within one hour).
This is not the norm for him, he would normally go every 45-60 mins.

We're at the vet tomorrow afternoon anyway but I am just concerned and wonder if anyone can offer any advice. His appetite is still the same and he is drinking the same amount of water as before :-?

Thanks in advance.

Harvey's concerned Mum.

I think you are doing the right thing–it's what I would do in your shoes. Anytime you see unusual behavior like this it's worth calling the vets for advice or to make an appointment. Sometimes people forget that you can also just ask for advice when you call and see if they think you should bring a dog in. :) My vets are always really helpful at either saying a dog should come in, or suggesting something I might try at home, or giving me developments to watch for that would indicate a situation is suspicious and the dog should come in.

Given that pattern of peeing I'd guess this is likely to be a UTI. Let us know what the vet says!

Thanks for the reply Karlin. Decided to take him down as we have only been with our vet once before when we brought Harvey home and that was 3 weeks ago.

I will post tomorrow and let you know. Thanks :)

The vet advised today that he doesn't think it sounds like an infection just a puppy and how they are..

Was surprised with this as I feel I know my dog so I will definitely keep a close on him.

Thanks.

Wow, was that all for a consultation? A urine test would have been pretty easy and given an answer.

If this was happening the first week you brought him home, or with no supervision, I could see that being the vet's advice (which honestly -- my vet would have told me on the phone and not charged me for a visit). But as I understand it, you have an established pattern and have been working on housetraining. And four times in an hour -- 4 times his usual urges -- is odd.

It could be that he was going a lot and not being noticed before, or something happened that made him have to go a lot just that one time, or management was a bit too relaxed and he has started going a lot - but even so, that many times in an hour would be a lot even for an 8 week old puppy... But it's hard to know how far along he was with housetraining, whether he is always under watch, at arm's length, or crated (the usual steps to housetraining) or whether maybe you'd assumed he was more housetrained than he was (it generally takes months for puppies to be reliable and they need 100% scrutiny at arm's reach when not in their crate for the first couple of months at home).

Personally I'd switch vets as I'd want someone to respect my own observations and concerns and at least check out the possibility of a problem rather than possibly allow him to remain in discomfort or continue on to a kidney infection.

Your options now are to go back and insist on a urine test; to wait and observe and see if it just stops while increasing housetraining vigilance; or get a second opinion from a new vet.

I agree try another vet. We had terrible problems with Charlie and UTI's and being blocked etc. The vet always said if you think something is wrong bring him in, you know your dog best.

Back