• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

question about weather changes

Blondiemonster

Do you notice difficulties when the weather becomes rainy and humid all off a sudden or also when it changes back from rainy and humid to nicer outside?
Meaning; is it the change itself that causes problems with SM or the actually change from low to high pressure or the other way around... ?

Confuses but changes in barametric pressure does effect ella

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

This is a subject I am working on for my website, you may find this article interesting from a human chiari sufferer.

http://livelovelaugh-lace1013.blogspot.com/2008/05/human-barometer-another-fun-chiari.html

5479913816_942066e2f1.jpg

I have often tried to work out exactly what causes a deterioration in my 12-year old ruby with SM, but cannot really pinpoint whether she is made worse by high pressure or low pressure. In other words, I think it may well be the change itself which causes the problem and makes her more uncomfortable and depressed.

But there are always so many other confounding factors (old age, degenerated disks etc) that it is a really tricky subject to unpick.

I shall be interested to see what Tania puts up on Cavalier Matters when she has researched it all. (y)

I definitely notice a change in Scarlett (more scratching/restlessness/bunny hopping) when there is bad weather coming in. That really sets her off and sometimes I need to give her Tramadol to help relieve her symptoms. We only use the Tramadol as needed to supplement her other meds.

The other time I give her Tramadol is before a bath because that is another time when her symptoms really flare up is after bathing her. I try to be pro-active and give her meds about 30 minutes before so it's not so difficult for her.

It;'s amazing how in-tune we become with their symptoms and any changes.

We've had two days of wet weather and the pressure has increased quite a lot. Oliver is whimpering in his sleep a little bit - not the groaning he did when he had a bad headache (before we got his Gabapentin dosage right), but he's obviously a bit uncomfortable.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Flash has problems with drastic weather change. I have to agree it's the "change". For example if we have a cold front comes through he will be more uncomfortable for a day or so and then be okay. Once the weather changes again he will usually have another flare up. In my opinion the more drastic the change the longer and more sever his symptoms are even on medication.

He is also uncomfortable after a bath but I think this is due to the excitement that follows. I have noticed after periods of excitement he is uncomfortable.

In every presentation I've seen by neurologists on this condition they note symptoms can grow worse as weather changes (eg stormy weather and maybe also changing back -- the shifts cause the problems). I know of people who have seen problems with SM dogs in pressurised plane cabins as the pressure shifts on taking off and landing (why you need to clear your ears) and with driving up into the mountains. Hot weather also can really bother SM dogs.

Clare's website states sone of this, too.

Back