View Full Version : Insurance Renewal

27th February 2011, 02:03 PM
Yep its that time of the year again.:sl*p: I just received a quote from Pet Plan of over 300 which I thought was quite pricey and a big leap from last year. Lady is now 6 years old and she had both hind legs operated on last year for luxating patellas. Only problem is I've called a lot of insurance companies but I cant seem to find any other pet insurance company in Ireland that competes with Pet Plan.:blabla: Is it the case then that Pet Plan has the monopoly here in Ireland?

27th February 2011, 02:35 PM
I changed from Petplan to AXA for my three youngest dogs a couple of years ago, but they have now put their rates up horrendously as well, having tempted me with a lower premium for the first 12 months. I think ALL insurance companies have had huge hikes in their premiums recently and I do wonder if they are now realising that Cavaliers can have serious health problems other than MVD.

Don't forget that you won't be able to find another company to take on the luxating patella problem now either, as they always exclude "pre-existing problems" when you take out any new policy.

So they've got us over the proverbial barrel really icon_blshing

27th February 2011, 08:43 PM
I shared in the past that PetPlan in the US raised my premium by 30% at renewal last November for my Tucker. I had purchased the original policy when he was 7 so only had it for a year, and I made NO claims ever. When I phoned to ask about the rate hike, I was told that it was because they had a new underwriter.

About a month ago, I picked up a new PetPlan policy for him (still no pre-existing conditions so no difference in coverage) because I knew that once he had an MRI, he would officially have a CM/SM status. Now that he had a good MRI, I think I'll drop the policy once and for all. I bought a policy on my young Cavalier girl that was adopted off the street about a year ago since I had no background history on her. She is clearly a poorly bred puppy mill girl. She has been healthy for a year so I'll likely drop insurance on both dogs. It's a lot of money to pay that could be going toward routine maintenance for the pets. I think I'll take my chances and pay for their care out of pocket as I've done all my life.


28th February 2011, 02:10 AM
I have always wondered about insurance. Brooklyn is my first pet, and normally I would say "no thanks", but I know with Cav's you have to be more careful because of their health issues.
Right now she does not have any but I sorta can't decide if she should or not. There are so many in Australia and I cannot choose or figure out the difference...they sure do make it complicated! :sl*p:

28th February 2011, 03:33 AM
Brooklyn's mom, there are several here that have mentioned both PetPlan, Embrace and Trupanion. Trupanion doesn't insure your pet after they are 1 year old. So, you'd have to start the policy before Brooklyn turns one.

I had started a thread asking about Pet insurance a while ago, and I found most people had PetPlan because they WILL cover breed specific disease and illness. I've found that Embrace also does. But, I do know that the owner of PetPlan has Cav's, and I have to assume they will always be kind to the Cavalier because of this. Well, lets just say I would hope they would :o.

I've been talking about getting insurance for Claire for a few months now, considering the Cavaliers issues. But, I had waited as my husband has only been back to work for a few months after being laid off for quite a while.

Pat I appreciate your honesty. And I am sure if I do get insurance, I'll base keeping it on how much it increases year to year, and how healthy Claire is. It's just that Cavaliers issues are so pricey, that if you are talking about having to register a claim, this is certainly the breed where the insurance WILL help.

It's never an easy decision.

Cindy and Claire

28th February 2011, 10:12 AM
I think I'll take my chances and pay for their care out of pocket as I've done all my life.


Am rapidly coming around to this view myself. At the moment my MONTHLY premiums for 4 dogs add up to a whacking 78 (US$126; Australian$ 124).....and that's after carefully researching the issue and changing policies when I could.

Most of the time I can't claim for what I'm paying the vet anyway as it either comes under "excess" or "exclusions" for one reason or another. It really is a fool's game these days, methinks!http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Cavviewagtails/Animations/Headbangingpoog.gif

28th February 2011, 10:35 AM
Hi Edel,
Your only other option I'm afraid is www.petinsure.ie (http://www.petinsure.ie)
They're a bit cheaper than petplan but once you have a dog with a preexisting condition,it may be difficult to change and maintain your existing level of cover.
300 isn't a bad price for a 6 year old who has had surgery.
My pet insurance will be all over the place.I'll have one with petplan and two with petinsure.

28th February 2011, 12:15 PM
I am with Pet Plan and am dreading my renewal which is due in a couple of months time. It is still worth my while to pay the premiums as I have two dogs with regular monthly claims for existing conditions (SM and immunotherapy). Hopefully they won't penalise me too much :xfngr: