PDA

View Full Version : gurgling stomach !!

Rubysmum
3rd March 2011, 12:12 PM
hi all, just hoping someone can give me some quick advice... rubys stomach is making very strange gurgling noises .. loud and long and its sounds like she has a cat in there!!!!!!!!!!!!! shes had 2 bouts of colitisand has only just got over one so am hoping its not that. im pretty sure shes not eaten anything bad and shes had no treats lately ( shes on burns dry food) weve been out today and shes had a normal poo (sorry) and she was as active as usual but the noises are still coming. is there anything i can give her to settle it down , and is this something that may pass without turning nasty ? thanks for any help ..

Karlin
3rd March 2011, 01:17 PM
It could go either way. It is often the sound I hear before colitis or gastroenteritis. I'd not feed her for 24 hours. If you have a dog prone to colitis it is worth getting as tube of Prokolin or similar -- I find this really settles their stomachs and can prevent things worsening. Most vets have it and it is non prescription. It is generally a bit cheaper online.

Rubysmum
3rd March 2011, 02:45 PM
thank you karlin. i think i will get some of that ,just googled and looks worth having in. her tummy is a bit quieter now and shes sleeping soundly so im keeping everything crossed she doesnt get sick.. shes had it 3 times but ive usually been able to pinpoint something - few extra or different treats etc but theres nothing this time i can think of so heres hoping :thmbsup:

jasperpaw
3rd March 2011, 04:00 PM
When Jasper had colitis a few weeks ago he had a very loud gurling tummy (he had never had colitis before so did not know what to expect), anyway a trip to the vets and one of the medications we came home with was Pro Kolin, I had never heard of it before, but after a bit of research I bought some on line and a lot cheaper to , so that is now in my store cupboard - have already used it once when my puppy had a bit of a tummy upet. Hope Ruby is better soon.

Mindysmom
3rd March 2011, 05:39 PM
My Rylie's stomach gurgles when he has an upset. I learned the hard way (by withholding food) that when that happens I need to feed him - preferably small amounts at frequent intervals or he will start vomiting as well as having the runs. I "think" we have found the source of the worst of his upsets (he can't eat beef) but I also found that having him on a probiotic has done wonders.

Rubysmum
3rd March 2011, 06:22 PM
we have been for another walk and she was fetching the ball and going crazy like normal .. so just given her a handful of burns as she seems really hungry , and her noises have subsided loads . i "think" we have had a false alarm this time ,phew . shes only 18 months and has had 3 bouts of very bloody diarreahh(sp) and i dread it happening now . fingers croosed. and im going to order some of that stuff for sure :thmbsup:

Margaret C
3rd March 2011, 06:40 PM
I have found that the gurgling can be a forerunner to a stomach upset.
I too would give pro-kolin and also small fairly bland meals ( Denes Senior Chicken Lamb and Rice works for me )

If such a dog is at all reluctant to eat then I would not encourage them.

Rubysmum
4th March 2011, 12:39 PM
thank you .. but am happy to report that it didnt develop into anything more :wggle::wggle: she didnt eat much yesterday but was her usual active self and she slept through last night ( apart from her 3 am wee stop aka her ploy to wiggle into my bed when my resistance is low ) so happy days :pi*no: long may it .. no im not saying it just in case , :-D

Wagtails
4th March 2011, 07:29 PM
So glad to hear Ruby is OK now - give her a hug from me and the Waggers http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Cavviewagtails/Animations/Huggywrappoog.gif

Rubysmum
4th March 2011, 08:23 PM
haha thanks :hug::hug::hug: so happy alls well x