• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on itchy Brooklyn

BrooklynMom

So we went to the new vet yesterday...what a god send. She was so wonderful, so thorough and really is getting down on the case. She was so surprised that the other vet didn't do more tests or anything.

So, the good news is that they did a few skin scrapes (Brooklyn was so brave! they had to scratch til she bled :( but Brooky just ate liver treats, ha), but they did not find any mites or anything else horrible. She did say that Brooklyn has a pretty bad skin infection though and it has spread to the point where no shampoo was going to help, so she gave her a shot of antibiotics (we chose the shot over the pill because its just easier for puppies who hate pills!) and we have antihistamine tablets that I will give her a 1/4 of for 2 weeks to try to sooth the itch while we clear up the skin infection. The vet is hopeful that we can clear up the skin infection, which is pretty bad, and that will stop it all...or at least show us something underlying that tests arent showing. If none of this helps in about 2 weeks, we go back in as she said there are a few other things we can do/look at, but we will address that when we get there.
Oh, and we are also going to change her food. She is on Hills Science Diet Puppy Small Bites right now, and the vet thinks it will help the skin to move to something less processed with better ingredients.

This vet was so kind, gentle, thorough and sweet :lotsaluv: I am so grateful to you all who suggested I get a second opinion. I have never had a pet before, so I dont know a good vet from a bad one....but I sure have learned the difference!!!
I am sticking with her and feel so much better that someone is taking Brooklyn seriously and is investing the time.

Also bought that cream you were talking about which I will start to put on her too to just help sooth while she heals.

Will keep you guys posted on her progress in the next 2 weeks...I just want to get her comfortable and fast! Plus, we dont want her biting out all her beautiful Cav hari :lol: Wish us luck, I hope this works!!!!!

That's great news (the answer and treatment part, not the skin infection part, I mean ;) )! I hope she is feeling much better very soon!

It makes a difference when you feel confident in and trust a vet!

Hope Brooklyn's itch improves quickly and she does not need to have further testing done.

There can be pretty dramatic differences in vets (bedside manner especially!), it's important to find one you like that will listen to your concerns, and be proactive in your pet's health. It sounds like Brooklyn is going to be feeling better soon :)

Back