• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Griffons, Papillons and SM

Kate H

It's already been mentioned that the UK Griffon Club has given a hefty sum to SM research. There's a bit more detail about it in the Griffon breed notes in last week's Our Dogs paper. They are giving £3000 a year for the next 3 years, in part to provide free MRIs for Griffons. Initially the MRIs will be for dogs over the age of 5, bitches over the age of 6 who have a known near relative who is SM clear, and dogs and bitches from the age of 3-4 from lines that have never been tested. I presume these categories have been worked out with the researchers as being the most useful to them. A whole new block of information going to the researchers, which will be great.

Not such good news in the Papillon breed notes, as their club AGM was shocked to hear that SM has recently been diagnosed in Papillons. Doesn't say if it was just one dog or several. The club agreed to run a health seminar as soon as possible to inform breeders about SM. I hope this will put a stop to any wild ideas that an outcross to Papillons would solve the Cavalier's health problems!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

... Not such good news in the Papillon breed notes, as their club AGM was shocked to hear that SM has recently been diagnosed in Papillons. Doesn't say if it was just one dog or several. The club agreed to run a health seminar as soon as possible to inform breeders about SM. I hope this will put a stop to any wild ideas that an outcross to Papillons would solve the Cavalier's health problems!

I have a hunch that the Paps are not in such bad shape, breed-wise. I would be surprised if SM in that breed is wide-spread.

I agree, Rod - and it looks as if the club is going to take swift action. On the other hand, we know only too well how quickly SM can spread if breeders aren't responsible! At least with Papillons any suspects can be scanned straight away; I'm sure SM was around in Cavaliers long before scanning became available, but was frequently misdiagnosed and affected dogs bred from in ignorance.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back