• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Board mechanics

Pat

I don't think this is the right place to post - but I have a question and a statement -

In my personal "mailbox" how do I delete only certain messages so that I can save the posts that I want to keep? I can see on the right where I can check boxes on certain messages, but when I select messages and try to delete, nothing happens. I can only see how to delete all messages, not how to delete selected messages. I lost a message on degenerative myelopathy that I wanted to save to discuss later because my inbox was full and I was forced to clean it out.

Also, there are very few board features that I use and I generally only visit specific forums that are of interest to me. I have some notifications of "friend requests" and I have no idea what being a friend on this board means. I looked briefly in the FAQ but couldn't easily find what my "friend duties" would be. So I'm rejecting those friend requests that have been sitting in my personal inbox for some time just because I'm clueless. This isn't anything personal about not wanting to be friends with anyone! If someone sends a private message to me asking a question or something that needs a long discussion, I give my personal email so that I can take the discussion off of the board. I don't log in here daily but I do check my personal email daily.

Pat

Pat, once you have checked the PMs that you wish to delete, click on "Selected messages" at the bottom right, then check "Delete". This should then only delete the messages you have checked.

I too have had "friends" requests without really understanding what is involved, so I'll be interested to see any responses you get on this thread. (y)

Thanks, Marie-Anne - tried that for my sent folder and it worked!

We'll see if anyone explains the "friend duties."

Pat

There is a section on the board for board function questions but I am sure a few people wonder about this so I'll leave the question here! :lol:

Marie-Anne explained deleting PMs. :) All the different features are explained in the FAQ section though it isn't very detailed. The info on friends is there:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_friends_contacts

but It doesn't really explain what friends are for (so to speak!). It's really an element of social networking sites that has been carried over onto the board. Some people really like those features and others don't use them–if you choose not to be friends it's no big deal. there aren't really any responsibilities . :)

One minor issue with your e-mail address–I replied recently to one of your e-mails and today after several days it was bounced back to me saying that your ISP thinks all e-mail from such IP addresses and presumably ISPs in Ireland is spam. That means I cannot e-mail you through my normal e-mail but have to do it through Gmail or through the board. My mother had the same problem and when she called her provider, they gave her away to get around the new filters, but it's a real pain that US ISPs are doing this. I've had a number of e-mails bounce back recently blocked at ISP level. According to my mother's service provider, the ISPs have added increased screening due to lots of spam. But it seems a bit ridiculous to block whole swathes of IP addresses just because they don't come from the US! I will cut and paste that e-mail into a Gmail account when I get the chance later so that at least it gets to you.

Back