PDA

View Full Version : This is just...Ugh...

Erin2854
7th March 2011, 05:04 AM
A girl from a general message board posted this message (I'm just copying and pasting what she said to save time..)

"My parents dog (3 month old cavalier king charles spaniel) Had hip surgery on thur. Came home yesterday. They say he is pitiful and they are soooo upset. They hurt for the puppy. Which makes me hurt for them. :( This is there first dog. (I'm the puppy lover). Need to give them some advice but I'm not sure? Does anybody know any advice I can give them. Or where they can find advice? I'm about to do a search on this pet board. He is pretty much confined to a kennel for 2 weeks. Thanks!"

I asked why a dog so young had to have hip surgery and recommended she or her parents visit this forum :thmbsup: She responded..

"Thank you so much! They got the dog for free...My brothers family was getting one so the breeder said they could have this one because he had loose joints??? Didnt tell them what could happen. And his hips kept on popping out of place. It was surgery or .....! So sad. Feel bad for my parents. I will pass on this website to them. Thank you sooooo much!"

UGGGGGH that is infuriating.:mad:Poor dog. What HORRIBLE breeders. It makes me sad that people don't do their homework when trying to find a breeder. I wrote her back a long letter explaining what should have been provided by the breeder along with health probs the cavalier breed can have, etc with my good luck wishes.

(SIGH)

murphy's mum
7th March 2011, 06:50 PM
There are just no words to cover how that makes me feel :(

mommytoClaire
10th March 2011, 12:54 AM
Oh my gosh! That breeder is HORRIBLE! Seriously, what is wrong with some people. Loose joints, oh my gosh, poor little doggy.

Kathleen
10th March 2011, 05:41 AM
:mad: Just sickening!!!

ByFloSin
10th March 2011, 09:00 AM
I felt so sick reading about this poor little pup too. That breeder is not worthy of the word 'breeder' and should be stopped by legal action against her by the owners of this poor mite, but as no money changed hands I doubt that will happen.

There is another aspect that nobody has mentioned though - the positive one. Your friends have given what is likely to be a new life to that pup, turning his life around from one full of pain to what I hope will eventually be a normal and happy pup, running, playing and doing all those naughty things that a pup should do.

No matter what our beliefs, or non beliefs, it is my belief that life is a very special gift endowed for a purpose. That couple were meant to find a pup in the way that they did and that pup was meant to be born at that time and to go to those owners. It's no excuse for what happened and I am so sorry for all the heartache and anxiety that the couple are going through, but I celebrate the fact that when the pain has gone and recovery achieved that pup has found a new life.

Desrae
10th March 2011, 07:48 PM
I felt so sick reading about this poor little pup too. That breeder is not worthy of the word 'breeder' and should be stopped by legal action against her by the owners of this poor mite, but as no money changed hands I doubt that will happen.

There is another aspect that nobody has mentioned though - the positive one. Your friends have given what is likely to be a new life to that pup, turning his life around from one full of pain to what I hope will eventually be a normal and happy pup, running, playing and doing all those naughty things that a pup should do.

No matter what our beliefs, or non beliefs, it is my belief that life is a very special gift endowed for a purpose. That couple were meant to find a pup in the way that they did and that pup was meant to be born at that time and to go to those owners. It's no excuse for what happened and I am so sorry for all the heartache and anxiety that the couple are going through, but I celebrate the fact that when the pain has gone and recovery achieved that pup has found a new life.

Well said Flo! Well said, I completely agree!cl*p

Erin2854
11th March 2011, 12:33 AM
Oh I agree- I sent her a message telling her how wonderful it was of her parents to be putting forth all their efforts into getting the little guy the help he needs. He sounds like he is in good hands now :) Just a shame that their 1st experience of dog ownership has to start off of such a sad situation.

Zumie05
11th March 2011, 03:00 AM

100% agree. This is EXACTLY what happened to me when I got my first dog. Although it was horrible, boy did I learn a lesson. My poor boy taught me an invaluable lesson. Bless this little puppy's heart, and I hope this is the end of the medical issues this pup will need.

LexieAndSprinkles
11th March 2011, 08:22 PM
Unfortunately it isn't always as easy as you think "doing your homework" on a breeder. When I got Lexie I did EVERYTHING "right". I found her on a recommended breeder sight, I e-mailed, had phone conversations, and interviews weeks prior to getting Lexie. I saw her house, Lexie's parents and siblings. I'd heard nothing but good things from the references I was given...It wasn't until after all of this, when I took Lexie to the vet the day after I got her that I realized how bad things were. She was in it solely for the money and while she had done an excellent job of hiding it, she was a terrible breeder and Lexie will forever have to live with the consequences of her poor breeding :(

My point though is unfortunately, sometimes you can do everything "right" and still find a bad breeder (who is very good at hiding it). The only thing we can do is report them and hope something happens for their animals sake. I shudder to think how many people bought sickly puppies from her and probably just never reported it. I did however keep in touch with a few of Lexie's siblings new owners and all of their dogs had similar circumstances with their puppies :( So sad!

MishathePooh
12th March 2011, 12:14 AM
I think the point is that you are probably much less likely to get a poorly dog from a breeder you've done your homework on. There's no guarantee, but it's still better to do the legwork. Some genuinely good breeders can produce dogs with bad genetic defects as well. But as I said, probably much more likely to get a poorly dog from a poor breeder.

Zumie05
12th March 2011, 01:06 AM
Another thing to think about too, is yes most of these people are likely in it for the money. But I DOUBT they are purposefully producing puppies just to tick people off and produce sickly dogs. Just the lack of carefully planning breedings and doing health certifications increases the risks of these dogs becoming ill.

The more people are educated, including these kinds of breeders, the better. The worst of all IMO is the puppy mill...where the people diliberately know their dogs are in horrible conditions and simply don't care about them at all. At least in a BYB situation the people genuinely love their dogs and puppies.

LexieAndSprinkles
12th March 2011, 01:27 AM
I think the point is that you are probably much less likely to get a poorly dog from a breeder you've done your homework on. There's no guarantee, but it's still better to do the legwork. Some genuinely good breeders can produce dogs with bad genetic defects as well. But as I said, probably much more likely to get a poorly dog from a poor breeder.

Very true and I definitely wasn't saying people shouldn't do their homework, they most definitely should, but I think it's also important to know that even if you do that doesn't ALWAYS mean a healthy dog unfortunately :( I think people should always be prepared financially, emotionally, ect; for those rare and unfortunate circumstances like mine and never just assume because you did everything right that the breeder will too.