• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Supplements - What do you Give and Why

Brian M

Hi

The thread header is the question ,so apart from your Cavaliers normal daily food which may or may not contain additives do you give your Cavaliers any extra vitamins ,supplements or fish oils if so what strength and what make. I have been giving my four various things over the years but thanks to Pat I ordered my last top up from Puritans Pride and they came from the US speedily and just as competitively priced especially with the buy two and get five packs offers ,also thanks to Pat for making me aware that the Omega 3 EPA/DHA the numbers to look for and also the soft gel capsules go down far easier than some producers massive white tablets.:)

In addition to a raw diet (Bravo, ZiwiPeak) this is what I give Polly

Supplements:

Vitamin E (200IU in capsule form-Puritan's Pride) Ultimate trio with the Co-Q10 and Fish Oil for heart health

Co-Q 10 (30mg in capsule form-Puritan's Pride. I also have some to use up from Vetri- Science but I like the puritan's pride ones, they are smaller and cheaper! )

Fish Oil (400mg in liquid form mixed into food from Grizzy Salmon Oil. Amazing quality but Polly doesn't like anything with fish and makes this face..:yuk: LOL so thinking of looking for a capsule form)

Glucosamin 260mg/Chondrotin 50mg/MSM 120mg/Hayaluronic Acid 10mg (all in one liquid supplement I mix with her food by K9 Liquid Health. She has a slight luxating patella so this can help the joints)

ProBiotic (powder you sprinkle on food. Currently using one made for dogs called ProActive Balance but looking into better ones. Polly tends to have a sensitive tummy and this really helps to maintain a healthy balance of good bacteria in the digestive tract)

I also give her cold pressed, organic virgin coconut oil like 2-3x a week. She LOVES it. The brand I use is by CoCo Therapy.

Fed regularly to pets, coconut oil may have multiple benefits:

Skin Conditions:

• Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis, and itchy skin.
  • Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
  • Makes coats become sleek and glossy and deodorizes doggy odor
  • Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
  • Disinfects cuts and promotes wound healing
  • Applied topically, promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings
Digestion
  • Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
  • Aids healing of digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis
  • Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
  • Aids in elimination of hairballs and coughing
Immune System, Metabolic Function & Bone Health

• Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal agents that prevent infection and heart disease
  • regulates and balances insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
  • Helps prevent or control diabetes
  • Helps reduce weight, increases energy
  • Aids in arthritis or ligament problems
www.puritan.com
http://www.grizzlypetproducts.com
http://www.cocotherapy.com/

Last edited:
Salmon oil is all I supplement, for skin/coat/heart health. She eats a combination of Ziwi Peak (we rotate the flavors) and Evo kibble, and once in a while gets raw rabbit.

Erin i really like the sound of the coco oil, thanks for posting/sharing- do you mix it into her food? i already give Yumega Plus omega oil mixed into my girls food,could i add coco oil too?

You also mention trying to find a good probiotic powder,i swear by pooch & mutt bionic biotic powder as Ruby gets colitis & for the immunity for Jelly for her allergies.

Hi Bri! in answer to your Q my girls only get Yumega & probiotic supplements with their dins:smile:

Polly loves her coconut oil! I either mix it in with her food, put some in my hand or just put her serving in the lid of the jar and she licks it right up. She thinks it's a real treat. If you click on the link below for their FAQ, you should find the answers about combining Fish oils and coconut oils (it's totally fine!) in number 20 and 21 at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for the advice for the probiotic! Gonna look that up right now :)

Update: Just checked out the "Pooch & mutt bionic biotic powder" but after reading the ingredient label decided it wasn't for me (although I'm glad to hear it worked for you, tupup! There must be something about it that agrees with your babies!) Not quite sure why a Probiotic would start off it's ingredient list with Cooked corn meal, corn gluten meal and brewers yeast..?? It doesn't seem to be an actual probiotic..? The ingredient seems so long..maybe someone can help explain why this would be.

Ingredients: Cooked Maize Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, High Fibre Oat Meal, Dried Brewers Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Omega 6&3 Oil Premix, Monodicalcium phosphate, Sodium Chloride, Enterococcus Faecium Culture, Calcium Propionate, Lysine Hydrochloride, Tryptophan, Tocopherol-rich Extracts of Natural Origin Supplement, Iron Sulfate, Natural Flavourings, Garlic Powder, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin C Monophosphate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin K Supplement, Calcium Iodate.

Ingredient List of Animal Essential's Probiotic (for comparrison)
Alpha & Beta Amylase 3,150 DU
Proteases 20,500 HUT
Lipase 265 LU
Cellulase 110 CU
Hemicellulase 100 HCU
Bromelain 20,000 FCC
Probiotic (Bacillus coagulans) 600 Million CFU

Last edited:
Have switched my suppliments a few times but currently I give them Only Natural Pet Omega 3-6-9 oil cap, ascorbic acid (vitamin c) powder 1/8 tsp daily as recomended by the breeder for immune support, and Dogswell dehidrated chicken breast with glucosamine and chondroitin.

Have given multivits, seameal, and glucosamine in tablet form.

Get these from Only Natural Pet site, good prices, organic, fast shipping.

I changed their food a couple of months ago to Blue Buffalo small dog from Royal Canin sensitive small bite that they had been eating for almost 2 years.

So far everything good, no problems.

Sophie is fed raw Meat&Veggie diet from Oma's Pride, with the occasional kibble breakfast, just to spice up her life. The only supplements I give her are Bertie's Daily Blend and Bertie's Omega-3 Fish Oil.
http://www.b-naturals.com/bertes-daily-blend-vitamins-for-dogs-1-lb-p-115?cPath=26

During flea season last year, she also did well on Springs garlic powder
http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bug_off_garlic_d/dogs as she is allergic to flea bites. It seemed to help her a lot in addition to the (very necessary) K9Advantix, so I'll do it again if I notice she has problems with flea bite allergy again this year..

I give my two Bionic Biotic as well. Maddie has tree and grass pollen allergies and this contains a natural antihistamine. It also helps with her colitis. On this we managed to get her through last summer without any steroids despite the unusually long pollen season.

They also have Yumega Plus or Grizzly Salmon oil or Hypercoat (from the animal health company). I alternate between the three so they don't get too bored.

Other than that it's just Plaque off and Petzlife for their teeth.

Back