• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Change in urination?

susandavis1

Hi there
Just looking for some advice please. Darcy is 5.5 and spayed. She recently has started with sporadic wetting accidents when I'm away at work. In the mornings, she has about 20 minutes garden time and then I leave for work for 5.5 hours returning at lunchtime. Since she was toilet trained, this period of time has been no issue for her. The first time I didn't think too much of it and she was dry for the next 2 days, then wet the next and then she had wet during the night so I brought her to the vet. Her temperature was slightly elevated and I explained the sporadic wetting to the vet who gave her 3 days antibiotics as she felt it was a UTI. Her anal glands were also very full and the vet expressed them. With the antibiotics, the night time wetting cleared up but the morning time wetting has continued. I am bringing her back to the vet on Wednesday evening but I'm just trying to understand what I'm missing. At night she can go for approx 8 hours and not wet, (she is not crated at night and has access to the tiled utility room if she needs it) but then when I am gone for 5.5 hours she wets. It is not everyday she wets, it is sporadic and inconsistent so I can't seem to attribute it to anything specific. She only gets kibble in the morning and she is eating and drinking normally and overall is her happy-go-lucky self. I don't think she is anxious when I am away as nothing has changed in our routine. Any thougths or ideas appreciated.
Many thanks in advance

3 days of antibiotics seem short... Coco was just diagnosed with a uti, and crystals in her urine. She is on meds for 2 weeks, and a special diet for 6 weeks!!!

I would take her back to the vet. I think generally a vet will want to culture the urine and also make sure it is a UTI and that the right antibiotics are being given to kill the bacteria causing the problem.

I agree a 3 day course seems quite short.

Back