• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coconut Oil

BrooklynMom

I was reading on a thread earlier about giving cav's coconut oil (I think it was Erin who mentioned it) and I would love to start adding this to Brooklyn's diet as I really think it will help with her skin. I found a great organic extra virgin coconut oil for pets here in Australia, and I would like to order! So here a a few questions for those that give their cav's coconut oil :)

1) I currently give Brooklyn an Omega 3&6 oil with her food, should I keep doing that as well as the coconut oil?
2) Will adding this to her diet make her gian weight? (note - I currently give Brooky dry kibble twice a day). Do you pull back on a little food or is it fine to just add in?
3) Do your dogs like it? Any interesting health results?

Thanks everyone!!!

Last edited:
Yep it was me :)

You can absolutely give both coconut oil and salmon oil as a supplement, I alternatate days. The link below will answer your questions regarding that, weight (it actually can help a dog lose weight) and any other questions. Polly absolutely adores it and most people I give samples of it to at work say their dogs really seem to love the taste. When Polly is being a finicky eater she will gobble down anything if I put coconut oil on top. I have spoken to my holisitc vet about it and he gives it a big thumbs up. My coworkers dog (black lab) has severe arthritis and hypothyroidism and she gives it to her dog as well and seems to notice a difference in her energy level and discomfort :)

FAQ's about coconut oil
http://www.cocotherapy.com/faq_cocotherapy.htm

The Whole Dog Journal's article about coconut oil
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/8_10/features/15754-1.html

Thanks Erin...I thought it was you! :)

I am going to give this stuff a try. I cannot get the brand you mentioned here is Australia, but this organic extra virgin one seems very much the same. I'll let you know how Brooklyn likes it!

Hiya, on the link that Erins posted (coco therapy.com) there is a list of international suppliers & via that i found the UK supplier if that helps:)

Very interesting. I'm a WDJ subscriber so going to check that link. I literally last night just got a jar of coconut oil for myself (to make some raw macaroons!!! YUM)

I was interested in the Cocotherapy too but as you said i cannot find it in Australia :)
Where is the one you have found?

Thanks heaps!

Back