• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coco's First Heat

Zumie05

I noticed yesterday that Coco seems to have begun her first heat. She 7.5 months old, and my very first in-tact female dog. I sort of feel like a proud mother, like my daughter is growing up hehe :)

It was hard to notice any symptoms before she started because she has a UTI, and has been excessively grooming herself. Last night we got blood all over our white down comfortor, and I had to work today and had no time to get her some panties to wear. She is however keeping very clean, so the spots must have happened when she was sleeping.

Anyways, I would like to know if there is anything else I should be doing for care for her, like feed her extra food, go easy on training, etc. I am not taking her to dog parks and she is under very strict supervision outside and on leash always of course. Is it still ok to take her to her training classes?

As far as behavior goes, she seems pretty normal to me..should I expect her to get snobby? I don't really know what to excpect.

You don't need to do anything extra for her.
Just be careful that her hair doesn't get matted underneath.
I would literally take her outside for toiletting on a leash and nothing else.If she went to training class she may cause total chaos.
It's really not worth the risk.
Sins

Just a thought... Do you think that's why she has been growling and barking? Maybe it's because she was coming into season and is in some sort of pain? I am just guessing as I have never had a dog that hasn't been desexed before. Are you going to breed from her? Just wondering why you haven't had her desexed.

Wow I didn't even think of that! But perhaps she has been growling because of her heat?!? Especially because it has increased so much lately.

She isnt spayed yet because I am waiting for her to finish her first heat. I do plan on doing so, don't worry.

Trainers do not generally allow dogs in heat in training classes (and I would leave a class if one did as it is extremely poor practice and management) -- it can cause mayhem with every male dog in the class, and also is a risk for her. She could easily be assaulted by a dog that gets loose and some males will go absolutely crazy near a female in heat. Most kennels/home boarding places will not take in-heat dogs either for the same reasons.

Hi, my Tilly came into season today for the first time. I have read it can last about 3wks but what do you do with your dogs? I can't keep her away from my soft furnishings for that long surely. I dont like the idea of her in the kitchen on her own. What can I do?

Bitches in season and soft furnishings do not go together..sorry:(.
If you have a crate,you can bring it into the living areas or put her on your lap on a blanket after giving her a little wash,but unfortunately it's messy business.
It will pass faster than you think though.
Sins

Also she should not be allowed outside except on a lead and under firm control. Walks are generally not a good idea -- she can attract every intact male for up to a mile away and far bigger dogs who may get aggressive (and which can easily scale a very tall fence to get access to a garden -- one male around here scratched all the paint off the lower part of a neighbour's front door because he could smell an intact bitch in heat inside). She will need to be inside for the next 3-4 weeks.

Be sure to read about the health issues of leaving her intact. The rate of pyometra, a potentially fatal womb infection, is amongst the highest of any breed, in cavaliers -- over a 1 in 3 lifetime chance of having this. Also she will have a 1 in 4 chance of mammary cancer. There is more info here:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?21755-Should-I-spay-or-neuter

:( we are supossed to go camping on Friday. Can't believe the timing, she was booked in to be done next week!!

Oh I can believe the timing:p.
Our first bitch went into season days before our summer holiday.My parents had to look after her and weren't impressed.
next time we booked a holiday,we sat down and calculated dates and booked for a time when she wouldn't be in season...yep, she went into season.. at which point my mother thought we were doing this deliberately.
She's been spayed!
Our second bitch went into season last summer while we were on holidays again...Seriouslyicon_whistling.
We've not booked any holidays this year:lol:
You can rebook the op for about three months time,but I think your camping trip is off..
Sins

"Panties for your pup!"

My Bella went into heat the week before she was to be spayed! It was a mess! I initially used the doggie diapers for the first few days, but then I smartened up and bought the store brand Pull Ups for toddlers, just got the smallest size. (like the ones you use when trying to potty train toddlers) I just cut a hole out for her tail. They worked like a charm, and they were much cheaper than the doggie ones. Good luck!

Our first bitch went into season days before our summer holiday.My parents had to look after her and weren't impressed.
next time we booked a holiday,we sat down and calculated dates and booked for a time when she wouldn't be in season...yep, she went into season.. at which point my mother thought we were doing this deliberately.
She's been spayed!
Our second bitch went into season last summer while we were on holidays again...Seriouslyicon_whistling.
We've not booked any holidays this year:lol:
One more reason to be glad I prefer boy dogs! :rotfl:

Back