• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier diabetes, what next. Short list of things

anniemac

I read on twitter the be prepared link with cavaliers and diabetes to cavalierhealth.com. rods website is very detailed and great but I need a dummy version. I want to be proactive and learn about things but there is so much! I figure if ella goes to the vet and gets bloodwork done, wouldn't the vet catch something like that and most other things?

Someone asked to see ellas bloodwork and look at different things and I have no idea what things mean. Is there some basic place to learn about stuff or what specific things will vets might not be aware of? Low platlets etc.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Anne is simply saying that she read Rod's Cavalier Health twitter comment about being aware of diabetes, and she is asking if there is a shortcut to learning about all of the various topics in veterinary medicine, particularly those specific to Cavaliers. She did not say that Ella has symptoms of diabetes or that she fears that Ella has diabetes - she is just asking about ways to become educated.

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut to learning. Time (to study) and experience are essential to learning. As example, I have a serious library of vet textbooks (which are not cheap and have to be replaced as new editions come out) that I've been reading for twenty years. I've also owned a larger number of dogs over that time than most pet owners in addition to working with fosters, so I've had to learn more than average as I've dealt with diseases in those dogs under my care. Some people want to dig deep into the nitty-gritty and others don't and would rather follow their vets' advice without understanding the details - it's a personal preference and there is no wrong or right. I have a personal interest and I also had a background (long ago) in human medicine so I had a foundation with which to start as far as understanding jargon, etc. I've made a deliberate decision to invest a huge amount of my personal time into learning over many years because I have a passion for this subject.

It's best to start with what affects your own dog since you'll have more of an interest in those topics rather than learning theoretical stuff that you may never use. It is definitely helpful to understand how to interpret blood chemistry and urinalysis - I can find some links later to post about that subject. That understanding has been particularly helpful to me and has served me well over the years, especially with geriatric dogs.

The internet is a powerful tool and has been so helpful to me - but one must be able to discern credible sources of information as there is a ton of "crap" on the internet. I always try to post links for further reading when I discuss a specific health topic here or in other dog internet groups. There are some great sites for pet owners that have more simple explanations, and there are good sites for vets that can be accessed by laypeople also.

To Anne's specific question about diabetes - if Ella had symptoms and your vet did blood chemistry and urinalysis, it should be pretty easy to diagnose diabetes. As far as learning in general - you are correct that there is "so much" and there is not really a "dummy version" that is going to be comprehensive about listing all medical conditions. But there are many sites that are helpful with learning about specific conditions, such as this one:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/canine_diabetes_center.html

Pat

Thanks pat.

Yes I'm not concerned with ella having diabetes but would like to be more educated. It may take years but I have a general interest in science. Thanks for the links. I told mom I wanted to go to vet school and she laughed. In a family of doctors why not ;) j/k but will start with reading.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Anne, I was like Debra and a bit concerned because I thought you were saying Ella might have diabetes. Feel better knowing that isn't the case.

I have a diabetic dog, and it is a disease that you can manage. Nash (Claire's brother) was 9 when he was dx'd and it was the result of a severe case of pancreatitis. With proper diet, blood glucose monitoring and twice daily insulin shots with meals, we manage quite well. Of course, he's now almost 13 and we are dealing with old age issues, and his blindness.

Of course, experience with disease and reading everything one can get a hold of, are great teachers.

Hope Ella is doing well.

Cindy and Claire

Back