• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

AM i right too feel a little upset??

whittakeramy

I was talking with a fellow dog owner on facebook today (not a cavi but a husky) and we were having what i thought was a normal conversation then she started talking about my mimi being a rodent dog and every little rodent dog she has ever know has dies of a tumour....how harsh is that???

Am i right to be upset by this??

From what i have seen there are so many other types of dogs that are smaller so why should mine be called a rodent just because theirs is the size of a small horse???

Some people are big dog fans, some little dog fans. I would be furious myself, but don't let it get to you. Your dog is not a rodent, and probably will not die of a tumor. Just goes to show how un informed this husky owner is, or hopefully she was just fooling around with you.

Tell the husky owner that every husky you have ever met has died from being hit from a car due to escaping the yard, and owners have drowned in their massive amounts of shed hair, and that they bark too much, and are stubborn to train (of course with a touch of sarcasm)! They are crazy good escape artists and shed like no other dog breed I have ever known.

I agree ..... that was rather insensitive. Probably just jealousy that the Cavalier is the most beautiful dog in the world :p

I have a dizziblonde neighbour who used to call my girls "horrid little rats".
She had a habit of arriving into my kitchen in the mornings to borrow milk/bread/sugar etc...wearing a fluffy white dressing gown.
When the dogs would rush to greet her she always jumped away and squealed " Go away you horrid little rats"!
What goes round comes round....and one morning she arrived unannounced into the kitchen...
Holly grabbed one edge of the dressing gown,Daisy latched onto the other...and pulled in different directions.
Poor woman should have worn something underneath.
It nearly caused the death of my poor husband who almost choked to death on a spoonful of Cheerios...

Sins

That is a funny story Sins:eek: I guess what comes around goes around.

As to the husky owner, I feel bad for her, she is obviously stupid or has a strange sense of humor. No one should say that about any breed or mix. However, I am biased towards the cavies.

Am i right to be upset by this??

Yes. IMO, the comments were rude and uncivil. If someone said that to me about my dog, I would keep my distance from that day forth. Life is too short. And I can hear my mother's voice now ----With friends like that, who needs enemies?

It was rude, no 2 ways about it. "Big dog people" seem to feel perfectly entitled to call small dogs all kinds of nasty names and say horrible things about them. It drives me crazy. It's kind of like a macho thing, I think. I personally don't see the glory in having a huge dog who makes huge messes, trashes your house, and can take out a small child if they have a sudden urge to do so. Just don't see it. But, having said that, I also don't feel entitled to go around telling big dog owners that I don't like their dogs. Actually, I like all dogs, and although I have a strong preference as to size for dogs I want to own myself, I like all of them, as long as they are friendly. But I only ever want to live with a small dog for all the above reasons.

She sounds pretty nasty and opinionated. I always think that people who say they hate small dogs have never owned one, they have just met a few overly pampered ones who are very high strung. There's no reason a 5 pound Yorkie can't have the same personality as a Lab, if it is socialized well and treated like a dog and not a toy.

As bad as someone insulting your kids! Just not something you do (or at least I don't think so). You might think what you like, but some things should just not be verbalized.

Sins ... your little story had me in fits of laughter ... could just picture the scenario. :-D

Thanks all, i didnt know if i was just acting all 'first time mommy' about it, like she was singling out Mimi but sins seriously made me cry with laughter. I myself love all dogs (thats a little bit of a lie there are a couple of breeds that freak me out lol) and i would never voice my opinions like that to the person, i have had some puppy envy before whith a few people who got puppies around the same time as i got mimi and it was like they would have a problem that they didnt get as many comments on their puppy pictures as i did but in the end we all dot the puppies for the same reason (i hope) and i fell if these people were to meet mimi or (or any other cav for that matter) they would realise they are not as fragile as they think they are and do like to run and play and get into trouble just as much as a big dog..

Before we had Cavaliers we had a Minature Poodle, who was quite a character and game for absolutely everything.

When our youngest teenage daughter got her first boyfriend he wouldn't be seen with a 'silly little poodle', but all that changed when they took Mandy for a walk in the local forest. They must have done 10 miles there and back. Ben was so impressed and my daughter told me the dog had more energy than the two of them put together. He never laughed at that dog again or called her 'a yappy little rat' :fool:

Seriously though,I would "unfriend" this person.
Her comments were hurtful and immature and most people would have stopped making those type of remarks in the school playground afer age 7.There are plenty of really nice people to chat to on FB about dogs and cavaliers.
What matters was the fact that you were upset.
Your dog clearly means the world to you and it's only natural you would feel defensive on your dog's behalf.
Hope you feel better about it today!
Sins

I would unfriend them too, she should know that personal comments can be very hurtful.
With friends like that - who needs enemies?

She has been unfriended, i am still bothered by it but in trying to not let it get to me, all i have to do is to look into Mimis eyes and it makes me realise that no matter how big or small she is my heart is over flowing with the love from her.

She has been unfriended, i am still bothered by it but in trying to not let it get to me, all i have to do is to look into Mimis eyes and it makes me realise that no matter how big or small she is my heart is over flowing with the love from her.

Too right, anyone who can't fall instantly and utterley in love with a cavalier can't be human!
Whenever I'm out with mine people want to stop and say hello - to her, not me.:(

So sorry you have had nasty comments from another dog owner. We are always having nice things said about our dogs when we are out and about, cavaliers seem to be very popular dogs with people. Everyone has the breed of dogs they like, but there is certainly no need to be rude about someone`s dog, they really are the most beautiful looking dogs and have the most wonderful temperament and your Mimi is beautiful so please don`t dwell on it. Sins - your post really made me laugh.

I have a dizziblonde neighbour who used to call my girls "horrid little rats".
She had a habit of arriving into my kitchen in the mornings to borrow milk/bread/sugar etc...wearing a fluffy white dressing gown.
When the dogs would rush to greet her she always jumped away and squealed " Go away you horrid little rats"!
What goes round comes round....and one morning she arrived unannounced into the kitchen...
Holly grabbed one edge of the dressing gown,Daisy latched onto the other...and pulled in different directions.
Poor woman should have worn something underneath.
It nearly caused the death of my poor husband who almost choked to death on a spoonful of Cheerios...

lol, Cavaliers are highly intelligent, if only your neighbour was the same :badgrin: As for her regular borrowing, I would include 'Lactulose' :yikesin the milk, she may delay her visits as a result:badgrin:

As for the Huskey owner, a Gallon of Lactulose, should postpone her outdoor pursuits for a while and hopefully her vocal cords will endure the same treatment.

Weiner dogs

We started our dog family with a German Shepherd who was really my husband's dog. He just loved and adored her. But our daughter wanted a little dog that would cuddle in her lap so along came Oliver, and then Riley, and then Maddie. They were like potato chips - I couldn't stop once I looked into their eyes and knew their personalities. And these were MY dogs. Long after our shepherd died and I wanted to get Oz, my husband said (lovingly) "No more weiner dogs". Of course he relented because he does truly love them, but there was one caveat. Oz's full name had to be "Oz, the Great and Powerful Weiner Dog". I don't care, because I have my four loves and I know his calling them weiner dogs is just his way of being affectionate with them, while still honoring his memory of our shepherd.

By the way Islewriter, I like your suggestion :badgrin:

My brother in law is a big dog or hunting dog fan. He was never rude but thought ella was a lap dog or small dogs in general. He was soon surprised to see that she had some hunting instincts. So glad you defriended her and like sins said there are plenty cavalier and other dog lovers on facebook. She doesn't need any reason to even respond

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back