• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Nervous!

tara

I am going to a cavalier fun day tomorrow sponsored by our regional cavalier group. I've "met" a few of the members online and found them to be extremely supportive during Holly's accident and recovery period. Only one person in the group has ever seen Holly. This kind breeder stopped by my home a few days after we returned from the hospital post-surgery. She brought a lovely care basket and was so sweet to me and my family. I think she'll be amazed at how far Holly's come.

But ... I am selfishly worried about being around other cavalier owners since the accident. I know this is silly and self-absorbed, but I'm nervous that they will think poorly of me for what all Holly had to endure. Yes, I know it was an accident, but I still harbor a lot of guilt and shame.

And for those who don't know the story, there's the issue of why Holly doesn't have a tail. Her coat is still growing in after all the shaving due to incisions, IV's, etc., so she looks a bit "interesting" these days. I know it's silly and superficial to worry with outward appearances, but I do so nonetheless.

I just hope people will be able to see past the incident and "accept" us into their group. I know I'm being ridiculous, but I felt that you all would understand my fears. I feel it's important to go tomorrow as I want to give a big "thank you" to those who were so supportive. Hopefully I'll report back feeling silly that I worried about any of this!!

Tara, if someone says somthing with out thinking first, Don't let them mess up your day. Holly and all of us love you!

Thanks, Chuck! All of my worries were ridiculous -- we had a great time. There were lots of people and even more cavaliers! My kids were in heaven:). Everyone was very nice and called Holly a "miracle dog."

The good news of the day is that Holly was seen by a cardiologist at the event and is heart clear. I figured she would be (she's only 3), but you never know.

All in all, a very fun day!!

I second what Chuck says, but I completely understand your feelings... and if others don't understand them and about what happened, then they're not worth it :lol:

Everything will be grand, looking forward to hearing about the outcome.

So glad all of your worries were for nothing :)I know you got to meet up with Donna, she's a kick in the pants isn't she?!! So happy to read that you had such a good time.

Thanks, Chuck! All of my worries were ridiculous -- we had a great time. There were lots of people and even more cavaliers! My kids were in heaven:). Everyone was very nice and called Holly a "miracle dog."

The good news of the day is that Holly was seen by a cardiologist at the event and is heart clear. I figured she would be (she's only 3), but you never know.

All in all, a very fun day!!

It was not ridiculous to be nervous and it was brave of you to face up to your fears and still go.

I'm so pleased you had a good day and Holly is making such wonderful progress.

I sometimes get nervous people will look at ella funny, especially if I go to club meetings or shows. People have been very sweet so far besides her eye, I know she is overweight, and is not a show cavalier. That's what we have to realize that its the inside that matters.

Besides someone being concerned for her general health, we all have to get over the fear of outside appearance. However, I was terrified we wouldn't fit in.

I am so glad you had fun and ended up going.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thanks so much, everyone!

Yes, Cathy, I did get to meet Donna -- she was so much fun to talk with! I think she and my youngest daughter are made from the same mold:).

I so agree that outward appearances don't matter. This has been (and continues to be) a great reminder of that. I was nervous about being around serious cavalier people. I know how much we all love our little ones and just hoped that they would forgive my huge mistake. Everyone was lovely and it was a very fun day. When I'm out and around non-cavalier owners, no one seems to realize that Holly should have a tail. I have to say that being around all of the cavalier tail-wagging made me miss Holly's old "waggy" self. But ... I am so grateful that she is doing well and able to enjoy fun days like the one we recently shared. Five months ago I would not have thought such an outing would be possible.

It's such a small world -- the cardiologist that examined Holly at the fun day knows Holly's physical therapist!

So glad that your Holly is doing so well and really pleased that the fun day really was run and not as you feared. :biggrin: What's done is done - there is no way you can go back, only forward :biggrin:

My Holly (Holly Poppet) has obvious disabilities too, the most obvious of which is that she has an extra paw attached to one of her front legs, but she uses it as a springboard to get where she wants to go that little bit faster.

I do have a thoughtless neighbour who lies in wait for me to go out, just so that she can tell me what a cruel woman I am by 'keeping that poor sick dog alive'. I have got used to her now, so I smile sweetly and walk on. :rolleyes:

As you say, beauty comes from the inside and I think both our Hollies have an abundance of that.:lol:

Back