• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

To the Groomers?

laswans

Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if all of you wouldn't mind offering me your insight and experience. I cannot decide if it is better to take my Cavies to a groomer once in awhile or if it's acceptable for me to take care of this myself. Mel and Lanie have been lovingly brushed by me every day since each of them arrived at our home. Both my my wee ones love baths and have never given me an issue trimming their nails or checking their eyes and ears.I use organic sulfate free shampoo, conditioner, and de-tangle spray. I suppose my most direct question is this: is there something that a groomer can do for them that I am not? I want to do what is BEST for them, and as they are my first Cavies, I was hoping all of you wouldn't mind chiming in.
Thanks!

Lauren, Mel, & Lanie :wggle:

photo.php

photo.php

I was a groomer for 3 years. If you are comfortable with doing everything yourself, then that will save money.

Groomers do have very nice blow dryers that blow air harder than a regular hair dryer, so I love the way Coco's coat looks right after a professional bath. Groomers also will shave the paw pads and do a sanitary trim for you, so that is one bonus if you are afraid of using clippers. They also can grind nails, brush teeth, clean ears and eyes, and of course do trims if you decide to trim your Cavie.

I do everything myself, right down to grinding nails, brushing teeth, and a sanitary trim, but I still bring her in once in a while simply for the socializing aspect (having strangers handle her, being in a new environment, etc).

Your choice! Make sure your dog is current on flea meds and vaccinations.

I have a grooming video I made that covers everything, check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/user/zumie05?feature=mhum

I think if you can manage to keep them knot and tangle free yourself, and are trimming the fur between their pads (I use small round end face scissors for this), and have no real concerns about your grooming efforts then I wouldn't worry too much about taking them. If you want them trimmed then I believe a professional groomer will do a much better job of this.

Mine have never been to the groomers, I'm often tempted to take Pippin just for the blaster, to try and get more of the dead fur out of his coat. He's such a hairy boy. :p

All I would say is, in light of some grooming horror stories, get a recomendation from someone, preferably another Cavalier owner, if you decide to use one. And make sure you're clear about what you do and don't want trimmed.

A big thanks to both of you- the information you provided is GREAT; the video was AWESOME. I do love grooming Lanie and Mel, and they are tangle free- but I might look into a groomer for once in awhile. The socialization aspect would be especially great for Mel. He can be rather timid at times.

Thanks again!

Back