PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit For Tea - Or Not ?

Brian M
27th March 2011, 07:54 PM
Hi

I bought a skinned and cleaned Rabbit and asked the butcher to chop it into small manageable pieces ,it is now in the freezer for a month or so .Even though the girls have been eating raw for a year or I have never fed rabbit ,so will they be able to manage the bones OK ?

Fifer
27th March 2011, 09:17 PM
Road kill rabbit was one of the first full raw meat meals wee Charlie had! :yuk:

Rabbit bones are fairly sharp and fine, so I'd mince it. If you haven't got a mincer then you could wrap the bits in a tea towel and bash thoroughly with a rolling pin or mallet.

Jasper and Holly
27th March 2011, 09:44 PM
Hi

I bought a skinned and cleaned Rabbit and asked the butcher to chop it into small manageable pieces ,it is now in the freezer for a month or so .Even though the girls have been eating raw for a year or I have never fed rabbit ,so will they be able to manage the bones OK ?

Hi Brian,
I haven't tried my two on Rabbit yet but I believe it would be ok. I have never seen it here anyway. Have a look at this book it's quite good. I bought myself a meat cleaver so I could chop Holly's bones into bite size pieces as she tends to gulp and that is working great. Jasper gets everything whole he's not a worry.

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

Dublin
28th March 2011, 01:45 PM
Brian, i used to have a customer at kennels i worked at in the ukwho ysed to give me a box of skinned rabbits every couple of months, i had to get my nan to chop them as it turned my stomach but thedogs loved them.

At the mo i am feeding my guys raw 'prize choice' meat & one i often feed is rabbit & they LOVE it! I think rabbit is great as its low in fat & a protien not all that often used in conventional dog food!

Dublin
28th March 2011, 01:47 PM
Forgot to add - they had no probs with the bones!

Nicki
28th March 2011, 02:47 PM
In the summer the locals shoot rabbits around here [they take all the grazing needed for the sheep]. They usually just bin them which is such a waste - so a few people now drop them in for me :)

I have to dress them myself - it's not too bad once you chop the head off and they look less like Peter Rabbit LOL

Mine absolutely love it - I have minced it but do also feed portions and have never had any problems. I also sometimes dry it like liver for treats, and they go mad for that!!

Rabbit is very healthy and a natural food for dogs. Quite expensive from the butchers though unless sometimes you can get them at farmer's markets. Otherwise try approaching local farmers.

Brian M
28th March 2011, 03:13 PM
Hello Nicki

I get them from a butchers in our main town market by my workplace they charge 6.00 each then I take it to another butchers who I get all my meat from and they kindly chop into small pieces for me .Thanks all for your words of knowledge .:)