• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rabbit For Tea - Or Not ?

Brian M

Hi

I bought a skinned and cleaned Rabbit and asked the butcher to chop it into small manageable pieces ,it is now in the freezer for a month or so .Even though the girls have been eating raw for a year or I have never fed rabbit ,so will they be able to manage the bones OK ?

Road kill rabbit was one of the first full raw meat meals wee Charlie had! :yuk:

Rabbit bones are fairly sharp and fine, so I'd mince it. If you haven't got a mincer then you could wrap the bits in a tea towel and bash thoroughly with a rolling pin or mallet.

Hi

I bought a skinned and cleaned Rabbit and asked the butcher to chop it into small manageable pieces ,it is now in the freezer for a month or so .Even though the girls have been eating raw for a year or I have never fed rabbit ,so will they be able to manage the bones OK ?

Hi Brian,
I haven't tried my two on Rabbit yet but I believe it would be ok. I have never seen it here anyway. Have a look at this book it's quite good. I bought myself a meat cleaver so I could chop Holly's bones into bite size pieces as she tends to gulp and that is working great. Jasper gets everything whole he's not a worry.

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

Brian, i used to have a customer at kennels i worked at in the ukwho ysed to give me a box of skinned rabbits every couple of months, i had to get my nan to chop them as it turned my stomach but thedogs loved them.

At the mo i am feeding my guys raw 'prize choice' meat & one i often feed is rabbit & they LOVE it! I think rabbit is great as its low in fat & a protien not all that often used in conventional dog food!

In the summer the locals shoot rabbits around here [they take all the grazing needed for the sheep]. They usually just bin them which is such a waste - so a few people now drop them in for me :)

I have to dress them myself - it's not too bad once you chop the head off and they look less like Peter Rabbit LOL

Mine absolutely love it - I have minced it but do also feed portions and have never had any problems. I also sometimes dry it like liver for treats, and they go mad for that!!

Rabbit is very healthy and a natural food for dogs. Quite expensive from the butchers though unless sometimes you can get them at farmer's markets. Otherwise try approaching local farmers.

Hello Nicki

I get them from a butchers in our main town market by my workplace they charge £6.00 each then I take it to another butchers who I get all my meat from and they kindly chop into small pieces for me .Thanks all for your words of knowledge .:)

Back