PDA

View Full Version : Bailey might have cancer.

kimy27
31st March 2011, 10:40 AM
Bailey was at the vet hospital yesterday getting some tests done as she keeps getting recurrent urine infections which my vet couldn't get to to the bottom of.

The investigation showed that she had a number of abnormalities, one being a chronic infection and the other being either a tumor or a polyp in her bladder.

She is having an operation today to remove the tumor and get it tested. I am hoping it is just a polyp but after doing some research it seems that polyps are very rare and malignant tumors are much more common :(.

Karlin
31st March 2011, 10:54 AM
Oh no, I am really sorry to hear this. You must be so worried waiting for the results of the biopsy. Fingers crossed that it turns out to be a polyp. How soon will they be back to you with the results?

meljoy
31st March 2011, 11:02 AM
Sorry to hear this. You must be worried sick. I'll have everything crossed that Bailey will be ok.:hug:

Rubysmum
31st March 2011, 11:02 AM
hope it turns out to be treatable. how old is bailey ?

kimy27
31st March 2011, 11:15 AM
Yes, I am worried sick. She is only 4 years old. I really wasn't expecting it to be anything serious so I was so shocked when I got the phone call. She isn't due to get the surgery until later this afternoon so I probably won't know anything until this evening. I am hoping they will have the results tonight but it will probably be a couple of days.

Rubysmum
31st March 2011, 05:12 PM
oh bless you i really hope it turns out ok . 4 seems young to have cancer ,hopefullly it is something they can treat .. my cat had a blood tinged wee last night but shes 15 -,when she was 4 she weed blood and it was an infection , cystitis but this time im thinking its not treatable ,taking her the vets stresses her big time so im just keeping a close eye for the time being . all the best to you and bailey xx

team bella
31st March 2011, 05:24 PM
So sorry to hear that, you must be very worried.:hug: Hope everything goes ok for both of you. Please update us as soon as you can

emmastewartliberty
31st March 2011, 05:32 PM
So sorry to hear that. Hope you gets the tests back as soon as possible and that they are OK. Thinking of you.

Sydneys Mom
31st March 2011, 05:36 PM
Sorry to hear that, you must be scared. Keeping you and Bailey in my thoughts.:l*v:

Wagtails
31st March 2011, 05:47 PM
We're also holding you and Bailey close in our hearts and hoping that you will get the results quickly - the waiting and the uncertainty are really terrible.

Don't go by statistics though - when I was very ill many years ago, I remember a doctor telling me that an "average" was only based on a range of possibilities from 0 to 100% and nobody could say whereabouts on that range I was placed. As I'm still here to tell the tale, it obviously was not worth worrying myself about!

kimy27
31st March 2011, 06:00 PM
I've had a call from the vet and it wasn't very good news :(. He said her little bladder is covered in either tumours, cysts or polyps. We won't have the results for 3-5 days. I'm just so upset. I'm worried that even if it isn't cancer they won't be able to do anything because there are so many of them. He said he has never seen anything like it before. I just feel so bad for my poor girl. I really hate not knowing.

Nicki
31st March 2011, 06:13 PM
So very sorry to hear this news - not what you wanted to hear :(

It's going to be an agonizing wait for you for the next few days but we are all thinking of you and have paws crossed that they will be able to help Bailey.

Take care

Charlifarley
31st March 2011, 06:28 PM
Sorry to read about the results. Hopefully it isn't as serious as it could be. We will keep everything crossed for you both here too. :hug:

Margaret C
31st March 2011, 06:31 PM
How horrible to have to wait so long.

We are all keeping our fingers crossed for you and Bailey

Kathleen
31st March 2011, 06:49 PM
I'm thinking of you and Bailey xxx

sins
31st March 2011, 06:50 PM
I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this.I wish there was something we could do to make the waiting easier...thinking of you and Bailey and hoping for the best.
Sins

3cavies
31st March 2011, 06:57 PM
So very sorry for what you are going through. Our thoughts are with you.

Daisy's Mom
31st March 2011, 06:57 PM
Like others have said, I'm so sorry to hear what you and Bailey are going through. I'm thinking of you and hope for some good news soon. Were they able to take out all those polyps/tumors, etc. from her bladder? Or did they just take some biopsies of them?

kimy27
31st March 2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks everyone.

Like others have said, I'm so sorry to hear what you and Bailey are going through. I'm thinking of you and hope for some good news soon. Were they able to take out all those polyps/tumors, etc. from her bladder? Or did they just take some biopsies of them?

No, he said there were too many to take them all out. He has taken a sample to be biopsied.

Rubysmum
31st March 2011, 07:01 PM
i am so sorry you havent had better news . hoping theres still something they can do when they know exactly what theyre dealing with x

Pat
31st March 2011, 07:11 PM
I'm very sorry to read this thread. I presume that the vet is suspicious of transitional cell cancer (TCC) which has a presentation similar to what you describe. Waiting for biopsy results is just awful, and I know well how that feels. I'm not going to post good links until you have a diagnosis. Remember that Bailey is not worried or scared, and that is a blessing.

Best wishes,

Pat

kimy27
31st March 2011, 07:19 PM
I'm very sorry to read this thread. I presume that the vet is suspicious of transitional cell cancer (TCC) which has a presentation similar to what you describe. Waiting for biopsy results is just awful, and I know well how that feels. I'm not going to post good links until you have a diagnosis. Remember that Bailey is not worried or scared, and that is a blessing.

Best wishes,

Pat

He said he thinks it's cysts but after doing my own research I'm not sure why he thinks that. From what I've read tumours in the bladder are malignant 97% of the time with TCC being the most common type.

Sabby
31st March 2011, 07:20 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Bailey. My heart truely goes out to you.
You and Bailey are in my thoughts and I am praying for a good outcome.
Lots of :hug:

Sydneys Mom
31st March 2011, 07:49 PM
Sorry about your news. Bailey knowes how much you love her. That makes her a lucky girl.

Sandrac
31st March 2011, 10:04 PM
Kimberley, So sorry to hear your news about Bailey. :xfngr: and everything else crossed for you.:hug:

HollyDolly
31st March 2011, 10:12 PM
You and Bailey are in my thoughts.

Nanette xxx

GraciesMom
31st March 2011, 10:56 PM
This is so scary! So very very sorry you are going through such difficult period.

lovecavaliers
1st April 2011, 01:54 AM
The unknown is very scary, particularly when it comes to health issues. I will be thinking of you and Baily over the next few days and keeping my fingers crossed for the biopsy to be benign.

Jasper and Holly
1st April 2011, 03:51 AM
Like everyone else has said. I'm sorry about Bailey what a terrible thing to have to deal with. Fingers crossed for you both.

Furrfoot
1st April 2011, 04:57 AM
Saying a prayer for Bailey right now.:hug:

*Pauline*
1st April 2011, 12:49 PM
Saying a prayer for Bailey right now.:hug:

Me too. I'm so sorry you are going through this. :hug:

kimy27
1st April 2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone. Had another call from the vet this morning with slightly better news. He is hopeful that the tumors are benign and thinks that baileys problems stem from when she was spayed. It seems that the procedure wasn't done correctly and this had caused the urine infections. He has managed to repair this but it was very complicated and he ended up damaging something else which he then had to fix.

We are hoping to get her home tomorrow but she will need regular ultasounds because he thinks she may need to have one of her kidney removed at some point due to the damage.

Obviously she isn't out of the woods yet and we will need to wait for the biopsy results to be sure but it was very good to hear him say that he "doesn't think the tumors are malignant."

I've finally managed to stop crying at least :)

GraciesMom
1st April 2011, 02:03 PM
I had no idea that poor spaying could cause anything like this. My goodness! Still in my prayers that issue can be resolved as quickly as possible and it really is not cancer. Wish I were there to give you a big big hug.

*Pauline*
1st April 2011, 07:32 PM
:( Did he damage the kidney?

mommytoClaire
1st April 2011, 07:46 PM
Oh my goodness, I'm just reading all this today. You must have been scared witless!

I'm with Pauline, is he the one that damaged the kidney? This was about the bladder right? So, how did he damage the kidney?

I pray he is right, and she will be okay. But, won't the polyps cause 'bladder' issues?

I'll be praying and thinking of you all. When will he have the biopsy results?

kimy27
1st April 2011, 09:02 PM
The bladder is where he found all the tumours but he found a number of other abnormalities in other areas. I can only think he damaged the kidney while trying to repair something other than the bladder.

To be honest I found it hard to take everything in because it was so much information and I was so upset.

If I get to take her home tomorrow I will write down some questions to ask him.

team bella
1st April 2011, 11:46 PM
I hope Bailey makes a good recovery quickly and that you start to feel better soon. Its a dreadful time but be positive and things will get better. You are both in my thoughts.Your little girl will be so happy to get home to you and she will get better. Do however write your questions down and make sure you get answers. :hug::hug:

mommytoClaire
3rd April 2011, 10:06 PM
Just hoping for an update on Bailey. And hope you're all doing better.

Hugs,

Cindy and Claire

kimy27
3rd April 2011, 11:42 PM
Hi everyone. Bailey is home :) We picked her up yesterday afternoon. She is doing really well considering. Her scar is massive! It is the entire length of her little tummy :(

She has a comfy collar which she is supposed to wear at all times incase she licks her wound but I only put it on her at night because she has SM and I don't like putting things round her neck if I can help it. We have been watching her like a hawk during the day but she doesn't seem interested in licking the stitches which is good.

She has been eating and drinking really well. She's still pretty tired so I've been hand feeding her so she can have her metacam for the pain. I've also been lifting her up and down the stairs and up and off the sofa so she is not putting any strain on her wound.

It's great to have her home but we're still so anxious about the biopsy results. I only got to see a nurse yesterday so I didn't get to ask the vet any questions but he had typed up a letter for me explaining things. I will type up the full details of the operation and the findings tomorrow if you want.

Please keep Bailey in your prayers :flwr:

lovecavaliers
4th April 2011, 12:09 AM
Of course Baily is in my prayers. I am glad she is home and seems to be doing reasonably well. You must be so happy to have home.
Thinking of you both.
hugs!

Jasper and Holly
4th April 2011, 02:28 AM
Hope she makes a speedy recovery. Sounds like she's being well looked after by her mum! she deserves to be spoilt right, now.

LoneStar Hoopy
4th April 2011, 05:45 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of poor Baileys "illness". I pray its benign & hope she does well after her surgery. xxx

Mommy to.......
Bobo, Black & Tan age 9yrs (Rescue)
Hoopy, BL age 3yrs
Lenee, BL age 6months

tara
4th April 2011, 07:08 AM
I'm so sorry to read this. You and Bailey are in my prayers.

emsley
4th April 2011, 07:33 AM
So very sorry to hear about poorly Bailey.
At least she's home with you now, which is good for both of you.
Very strong prayers from us all here.

Sabby
4th April 2011, 02:04 PM
So glad Bailey is back home with you. Hope and Praying for a good outcome.
Lots of:hug:

Tania
4th April 2011, 04:59 PM
Gentle hugs to Bailey and my fingers are crossed for good results. :hug:

Nicki
4th April 2011, 10:19 PM
So pleased that Bailey is home and doing well - you are doing a wonderful job caring for her. We really hope that the vet is right and that it is benign and you will have many happy years together yet.

Take care of yourself as well

*Pauline*
4th April 2011, 10:32 PM
Thinking of you and Bailey. It must be such a strain waiting for those results.

Wagtails
5th April 2011, 05:24 PM
I'm also very glad to read that Bailey is at home with you again - nothing like her family's TLC to help with the healing process!

Keeping everything crossed for the future too. Good luck little girl :xfngr:

murphy's mum
5th April 2011, 06:23 PM
I'm so sorry to read what Bailey has been through so far. I can't imagine having to sit and wait on results like this. We'll keep you in our thoughts :flwr:

kimy27
5th April 2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks. It's nice to know everyone is thinking about Bailey. It is really hard waiting on these results. My stomach is constantly in knots. Here is what the vet has said about Bailey-

Investigations
Abdominal ultrasound was suggestive of focal abnormalaties in the urinary bladder, however these were not clearly differentiated from the overlying sediment. The uterine stump was prominent and potentally enlarged (uterus was partially removed when she was spayed).

Plain abdominal radiographs- unremarkable.
Contrast radiographs of the urinary system revealed a number of abnormalaties in the urinary bladder suggesting multiple polypoid structures inside Bailey's bladder. The shape and size of the vaginal wall was considered enlarged and irregular.
Bladder biopsy performed during surgery- pending

Diagnoses
Multiple small filling defects in bladder and possible vaginal hypertrophy or chronic vaginitis.

Surgery
Bailey was taken for exploratory surgery of the abdomen and a 6cm incision was made into the bladder to access its interior. Multiple polypoid structures were identified, covering the entire bladder. Two samples were taken for biopsy and bacterial culture.
The prominent uterine stump was dissected from the bladder wall and adjacent structures and then removed.
During this procedure the left ureter was unfortunately damaged and required reconstruction.

I always thought that if anything ever happened to Bailey it would be due to her SM. I never thought we would be dealing with something like this.

GraciesMom
5th April 2011, 09:43 PM
I am reading this every day to get updates. I feel like I know you all and wish I could make this better. I am so sorry that various issues keep piling up when you just want Bailey to be fixed and home recovering. Sending you the biggest hug.

Ddavis
6th April 2011, 07:10 AM
I have just read this thread now ..... I am so sorry about what you and little Bailey have been through and are going through, must be very traumatic (particularly for you). You and Bailey are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope the results of her biopsy have a positive outcome.

mommytoClaire
7th April 2011, 02:17 AM
Oh, I wish there was something I could say that would be more profound . But, I tell you it just broke my heart to read your comment:

I always thought that if anything ever happened to Bailey it would be due to her SM. I never thought we would be dealing with something like this.

So, all I can do is say, I am thinking of and praying for you both (((hugs)))

Cindy and Claire

kimy27
7th April 2011, 06:18 PM
:updte:

Great news everyone! Bailey's biopsy results have came back negative for cancer! :w**h**:

She does however have a very severe, chronic case of cystitis. The polyps/cysts in her bladder turned out to be lymphoid cells which are a reaction to the infection.

Bailey goes back to the hospital next Monday for an ultrasound and to get started on medication. The vet said it may take a few weeks to get the right combination of medicines but we should be able to get her on something that works.

I am so relieved! Thanks so much to everyone for your thoughts and prayers over the last week :hug:

murphy's mum
7th April 2011, 06:21 PM
Oh thank god, I'm so happy to hear it's not cancer:jump:

Hopefully they will get her Meds sorted out and she'll be back to her usual self in no time.

SuzRN
7th April 2011, 06:28 PM
That is so great!!! Hope they find the medication combo that helps soon.:pi*no::pi*no:

Sabby
7th April 2011, 10:24 PM
I am so glad to read your news. Hopefully with the right meds Bailey will be on her way to recovery.

Sydneys Mom
7th April 2011, 10:48 PM
:rah: :rah: That really is good news.

team bella
7th April 2011, 10:49 PM
Yes great news, bet you're so happy :rah::rah:

3cavies
7th April 2011, 10:50 PM
Such good news !!!

kimy27
8th April 2011, 03:45 PM
Yes! I am so happy. Looking forward to having a nice, quiet weekend with her as she is still recovering. Hopefully the weather will be nice tomorrow so we can sit out in the garden for a while and maybe even get her out for a short walk :D

Karlin
8th April 2011, 07:24 PM
:*nana::*nana::*nana:

Margaret C
8th April 2011, 07:41 PM
I'm so pleased. :rah:

I hope you both enjoy your weekend.

meljoy
8th April 2011, 07:48 PM
So glad to read your positive newscl*p

emmastewartliberty
8th April 2011, 08:45 PM
I am so pleased for you :hug:Hope evreything goes much more smoothly from now on.

GraciesMom
8th April 2011, 11:26 PM
This is worth a big puppy dance!!! :grin:

Jasper and Holly
9th April 2011, 02:12 AM
Fantastic news enjoy your weekend.

mommytoClaire
9th April 2011, 06:13 AM
I couldn't be happier for you! That is the best news I've heard in a long time. Go enjoy your great weekend with your special girl!

sins
9th April 2011, 06:55 AM
This is such welcome news. I'm sorry you had to go through all this,the worry and the waiting,but hopefully Bailey will recover quickly once the problem is now known.
She's been through a lot.They're such resilient little dogs aren't they?
Sins

Sandrac
9th April 2011, 09:38 AM
So glad to hear that Bailey has not got cancer and that you can rest a little easier. Enjoy your weekend and Bailey.:lotsaluv:

Nicki
9th April 2011, 11:02 AM
WOW just seen this, what absolutely fantastic news, I'm over the moon for you :wggle::wggle::wggle:

I know there will obviously be few hurdles yet but Bailey is a fighter and is lucky to have such a caring guardian and I'm sure you will overcome her problems.

Enjoy your weekend :lotsaluv:

lovecavaliers
9th April 2011, 02:09 PM
:jmp: Wonderful news for you and Baily!!!!:*nana:

laswans
9th April 2011, 03:01 PM
I just read this thread too! I am ecstatic for you two :rah:

*Pauline*
9th April 2011, 03:22 PM
Wonderful news. I hope she recovers fully soon. Enjoy your weekend xx

Daisy's Mom
11th April 2011, 04:05 PM
Awesome news! So glad to hear it!

kimy27
19th April 2011, 11:08 AM
:updte:

Hi everyone. Bailey was back at the vet hospital yesterday getting an ultrasoud to check how things were going. Unfortunately her left ureter which was damaged during surgery is extremely swollen and is blocking off her kidney which means the kidney has to be removed :(

She is having the surgery later this afternoon. The vet has said that she will be able to live a normal life with the one kidney but obviously I am still worried because if anything were to ever happen to that kidney there would be nothing we could do. I worry because she is on a lot of medication which can't be good for her kidneys.

Anyway I just wanted to give you an update. I will let you know how the surgery goes. Please keep her in your thoughts :flwr:

Charlifarley
19th April 2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the update, I'm sorry she has to have her kidney removed. Hopefully this will be the end of her troubles and she will make a great recovery. :flwr:

Kathleen
19th April 2011, 11:35 AM
I'm thinking of you and Bailey. Hope all goes well and she is soon on the mend. xxx

Margaret C
19th April 2011, 12:08 PM
I'm so sorry.

There seems no end to what is happening to poor Bailey. Life just isn't fair sometimes.

She is going to be one very special little dog who will deserve all the spoiling possible when she gets home.

And you are a wonderful caring owner who will make sure that she gets all the care she needs.

Thank goodness she lives with someone like you.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you both.

sins
19th April 2011, 12:22 PM
Hopefully this will be the end of the surgery for bailey.
It's one final hurdle and fingers crossed that she'll sail through it.
Sins

Ddavis
19th April 2011, 12:32 PM
Poor Bailey .. and you. What an emotional roller-coaster you have been on.

Hoping it all goes very well today and that this is the end of the problems that Bailey has to go through.

Nicki
19th April 2011, 01:35 PM
Poor wee soul :( so sorry for you both, it seems to be one thing after another right now.

Will be thinking of you both this afternoon, hope the op goes smoothly and she will make a quick recovery, she is indeed so lucky to have such a wonderful caring guardian.

I know it's hard and we worry about them only having one kidney, but I know that they can function perfectly normally and we really hope that that will be the case for Bailey. There is a medication called Zentonil Advanced which supports the liver - that might not be a bad idea if she is on a lot of medication? Maybe something to talk to your vet about, but you can get it off prescription from companies like www.vetuk.co.uk

kimy27
19th April 2011, 04:38 PM
That is Bailey out of surgery which went well. We probably won't get her home until Thursday but the vet is going to give me another call tomorrow to let me know how she is.

I can't believe she was just getting back to normal after her first surgery and now she had had to go through it all again. She only just got her stitches out a few days ago. Fingers crossed that this will be end of it and we can get back to normal.

Thanks to everyone for all your kind words :flwr:

Wagtails
19th April 2011, 05:24 PM
So glad the surgery is over for Bailey now and will keep you all in our hearts for a speedy recovery and better luck in the future. Do keep us posted on her progress :luv:

GraciesMom
19th April 2011, 07:29 PM
Give the wee thing a special hug from all of us!

Tania
19th April 2011, 07:48 PM
Poor Bailey and poor you. I am so sorry. Sending you both gentle hugs and hope Bailey makes a good recovery.:hug

Desrae
19th April 2011, 09:20 PM
Get well soon Bailey! Thinking of and praying for you...

LoneStar Hoopy
20th April 2011, 02:41 AM
Its been rough for you all! Hope she is doing good, I'm praying that this is the end of her troubles........

Take care & I'll continue my prayers for you guys, xxx

mommytoClaire
20th April 2011, 02:42 AM
Sending my good thoughts and prayers for a quick recover for poor little Bailey. It's been quite a rough month eh?

Hugs to you both,

Cindy and Claire

kimy27
20th April 2011, 01:45 PM
Just to let you know that Bailey is getting home today :D I am picking her up straight after work.

mommytoClaire
21st April 2011, 02:12 AM
Just wondering how Bailey did today? Hopefully feeling 1/2 way comfortable. What a sweetie.

Hugs,

Cindy and Claire

LoneStar Hoopy
21st April 2011, 04:35 AM
Fantastic news! Hope you both had a lot of snuggle time together on her first night home.....xxxx

Jasper and Holly
21st April 2011, 07:52 AM
That's great news hope you have a good night and I hope she's feeling better.

kimy27
21st April 2011, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone. Bailey has mostly been sleeping since we brought her home. She also seems to be having problems going to the toilet. Once she has done a pee she is all over the garden trying to do it again. She also seems to be constipated. The poor lamb is squeezing for ages but nothing is happening. I am waiting on the vet hospital calling me back.

She also hasn't ate anything since we brought her home either. Think I will try to make her some scrambled eggs because it can't be good for her to take all this medication on an empty stomach.

Wagtails
21st April 2011, 12:38 PM
Good idea for the scrambled eggs - also a little fish and white boiled rice generally goes down well and is light on a stomach which has been through anaesthetic. I think being constipated is pretty much par for the course after anaesthetics too. You need a lot of faith and patience for the first 48 hours after surgery.

Good luck little Bailey and we all hope you won't have to go through this again :d*g: