• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My French Bulldog the Cavalier

moobywan

First, thank you to everyone who asked about Mooby, thought about Mooby, or sent messages today. Mooby is very happy to be home now and snoozing after a big dinner.

It turns out Mooby is trying to corner the market on medical abbreviations. After her MRI we found out she has SM, COMS and PSOM... let's not forget she also was diagnosed with PCD (Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia) back in December.

The MRI was very interesting to see. The syrinx was pretty much the entire length of the scan, bigger in some places and smaller in others. There were bright spots in the middle ear where all the gunk is. The neurologist is not recommending surgery for the SM but instead just gabapentin 3x a day. For the PSOM we are doing prednisone and are going to explore this further next week with a dermatologist. I guess the idea here would be to drain the gunk in the ears and find out what it is.

The neurologist also said she was no longer looking at Mooby like a french bulldog, but like a cavalier. I guess i'm in the right place.

Oh my! I'm so sorry to hear about poor Mooby! At least she is in good hands and getting the treatment she needs!

You are definitely in the right place for loads of support and information!

I am so sorry to read your update. I do hope Mooby settles well on the medication.

Also may I welcome Mooby as a "Honorary Cavalier" :l*v: You'll get all the support and info you need here.

Last edited:
Hello Moobywan

I am so sorry for the twp of you ,Mooby is a very special little dog and we all know shes in the best of hands with ,so wellcome to Mooby Ct's unique and super "Cavalier"

Oh boy mooby is very special!! :). Sorry to hear the results though... Question: did they do a mini or full scan? In other words did they mri the whole spine? How much gabapentin is he on?

So sorry about the diagnosis. Not what anyone wants to hear.

How does the CPD affect Mooby and how is it treated? As it can affect the ears is it possible that is what is causing the PSOM?

We want you & Mooby to stay with us so we can learn from each other, but you may also be interested in the Friends of Lola website, especially as her breed is mentioned.

http://friends-of-lola.com/index.html

Although Cavaliers seem to be the worse affected by CMSM, it is clear that there are a lot of other breeds that have SM affected dogs.

Have you told Mooby's breeder about the diagnosis? Nobody likes to be the bearer of bad news but it is important that breeders of affected dogs know that there are problems in their lines.

So sorry to hear of this diagnosis. :flwr: Feel free to ask anything here as many of us have SM dogs (I have three of five with SM; only one needs significant medications, so there are all sorts of levels of progression). Dr Clare Rusbridge and Penny Knowler, two of the leading researchers in SM, would be interested in contacting you about Mooby -- may I give them your email address? (I have it in the system from your registration).

So sorry to hear the news on Mooby was not good. But you are in a great place here - there is so much support for those of us who have dogs affected by SM. :flwr:

So sorry to hear of this diagnosis. :flwr: Feel free to ask anything here as many of us have SM dogs (I have three of five with SM; only one needs significant medications, so there are all sorts of levels of progression). Dr Clare Rusbridge and Penny Knowler, two of the leading researchers in SM, would be interested in contacting you about Mooby -- may I give them your email address? (I have it in the system from your registration).

Hi Karlin,

Sorry for the delay. I just sent you a private message, but yes, please feel free to pass along my e-mail!

Thanks,
Melissa

Back