• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice re grooming please

jasperpaw

My 11 month year old Ollie has got a long coat - don`t know if it`s a full coat yet, but I hope so, he is very good at letting me groom him, but the only problem I have is his tummy area where because it`s so long haired it gets very dirty and also very yellow and not at all pleasant - he hates having his tummy brushed and I don`t want to upset him and he gets to hate being groomed at all. I recently bought a nice pin headed slicker brush and I have a metal comb, is there any other brushes etc I should use, also what would be a good shampoo for regular shampooing - I don`t really believe in bathing too often but I feel I will have to think again about this as being long haired he gets so dirty. Sorry for all the questions but my other older Cavalier has a short coat and I realize I have got off so light with him all these years.

You can trim that fur, unless you are showing him. Or a groomer can do it for you. Be very specific that you just want a hygienic trim and show the problem spots, too many groomers will shave the whole dog (ears and all).

We taught Murphy to roll over when he was a pup, we didn't try to groom him to start with, we just kept rewarding with treats. We worked up to stroking, and then gentle brushing for literally a second. Stopping, and then building up as we went. I do trim his belly hair in between grooming visits, as his belly/bum hair tends to mat really easily after a walk around the forest. We just find it easier to keep him "tidy" underneath.

With Misty she was so submissive when we got her, she rolled on her back to be petted anyway, so grooming was no problem.

I second the groomer visit. Go in to get him bathed and ask for a sanitary trim. Make sure you say no other hair should be cut except on his tum and bum! Not even on the paws, a lot of places do that as a standard.

Johnsons Baby Powder works a treat or you could try a dry shampoo for dogs.
Males can be a bit smelly at times and I find the baby powder ideal inbetween washing his bits and pieces:eek:

Nanette

I keep my two trimmed on their tummy and it stops them getting knots too. Also do behind their ears too. They are good at letting me do it. It just takes time and they soon get used to it. Shampoo I use is natural dermcare I always used that on my last Cav as he had sensitive skin.

Back