• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Surgery advice please

meljoy

Once again Leo has problems with his anal glands.
I awoke this morning to his back end covered in a bloody mucus. Took him to the vet who told me what I already knew that he's had a burst abcess.
He's back on antibiotics and the vet has ordered some fibre supplements for us. I have to take him back on Monday for a review.
She did say as a last resort they could remove his anal glands altogether. She said she would be reluctant to do this but if this problem continued she felt it might come to that.
Has anyone's dogs had their anal glands removed? I know there is a possible issue with faecal incontinence but I cant let Leo keep getting these awful painful problems

Hello Mel, my previous girl Poppy used to have dreadful infections too and was thoroughly miserable quite a bit of the time. I think she was about 4 when she had her anal glands removed.

She was so much better afterwards and never suffered a problem with incontinence except for when we went to stay in a holiday cottage on the Yorkshire coast when she was 12 and she wasn`t aware that she wee`d sometimes whilst lying down!

We just had to take her in the garden a bit more and wash her very frequently!

And of course this was nothing to do with her op anyway! She lived until she was 13 and a half btw! Bless her!*ng*l

I know most people seem to be against removal but I think you have to decide about Leo`s quality of life and get as many other peoples views as possible to help you decide.

Hi Christine,
Thanks so much. You've made me feel so much better. I w dreading the aftermath of Leo having them removed.
We've changed his food umpteen times, I add veg every night and now we'll try supplements! Which we tried before and it didnt help much.

I'll read about it as much as I can before I decide but if it helps him I'll do anything.

Thanks again.

I am also very interested in hearing about experiences about removal. Both Molly and Éowyn have had huge abcesses twice. Actually Molly is on medicine right now because of anal gland infection, and she is going to her third vet visit in a week on Monday.

I am also very interested in hearing about experiences about removal. Both Molly and Éowyn have had huge abcesses twice. Actually Molly is on medicine right now because of anal gland infection, and she is going to her third vet visit in a week on Monday.

Im discussing the option of removal on Monday, when I know more I'll let you know too. Ive got tons of questions for the vet before I decide whether to go ahead with it.
Hope your Molly recovers soon.

Once again Leo has problems with his anal glands.
I awoke this morning to his back end covered in a bloody mucus. Took him to the vet who told me what I already knew that he's had a burst abcess.
He's back on antibiotics and the vet has ordered some fibre supplements for us. I have to take him back on Monday for a review.
She did say as a last resort they could remove his anal glands altogether. She said she would be reluctant to do this but if this problem continued she felt it might come to that.
Has anyone's dogs had their anal glands removed? I know there is a possible issue with faecal incontinence but I cant let Leo keep getting these awful painful problems

My Monty had his anal glands removed because of a long term infection that we could not clear.
I was told they had to go very deep when they operated and I was warned that he may have faecal incontinence.

Luckily that did not happen, but it would have been dreadful for him ( such a good mannered & dignified gentleman ) and us ( he was my bed dog ) if that had happened.

I have found that some dogs do get a 'run' of anal gland abscesses over quite some months and then it just stops happening, so do not be in too much of a hurry to say yes to the operation. Try the fibre first.

I do now give all my dogs bran with their food. I do think it helps.

I would also wonder whether this couldn't be prevented if, say, his anal glands were expressed every other month–I would think they would be less likely to become infected? Anal glands just seem to be such an issue with the breed–almost every Cavalier I know scoots. :(

Leo has had a couple of abscesses and all the dogs would get a fair amount of fiber–it just seems some are more prone to problems than others, perhaps if the openings are particularly small. That said, none of the others have ever had an anal gland problem, although they do get quite full sometimes. I always ask the vets to express them when I am there (which I am sure makes me very popular with my dad!). Groomers will usually do them as well.

Thanks everyone. Im not rushing in to surgery...that is going to be my LAST option. I'll try anything first. I give Leo veg with his evening meal so I'll try the bran supplement and anything else anyone can suggest.

Leo is much better today. The meds have kicked in and he's he's usual self again.
Margaret I worry about faecal incontinence as Leo gets in bed with me in the mornings if I have a lay in and like you that isnt something I want to experience.:rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Mel X

I thank all of you, too, for the advice. The solution of a steady appointment with the vet every two months might be enough for us.
Mel, I'm also going to the vet on Monday, then we can exchange information.

Went back to the vets today for a check up. I discussed surgery and we both agreed that it would be a "very last option". I asked who would do the surgery and what experience they had. There are 2 vets that have a lot of experience with this type of surgery and if it comes to it I will speak to them at great lengths first.

We are trying the pro-fibre supplements and wheat bran plus regular visits to have his glands expressed and see if that helps.

He also has to carry on the antibiotics for another 2 weeks to make sure all the infection is cleared, I have to take him back then for another check up.

Ourempire.....how did you get on? Hopefully Molly is feeling better.

Hi Mel.
I agree with you. Surgery should be a very last opportunity. My vet looked very sceptical, when I suggested it, and he pointed out the riscs of for instance incontinence.
Since I also talked to my sister-in-law, whose cocker spaniel had her anal glands removed. She had no problems afterwards, but the indications were worse than Molly. Her dog bled and could not go to the toilet, so her operation was also an emergency.
I think that for now I will decide to book "check" appointments for both dogs every two months.
Molly is doing fine. Today I removed her cone, and she hasn't approached her behind ;) She is going for her check-out tomorrow morning, and I am hoping for a good result.
Best wished, Charlotte

Hi Charlotte,
Thats good news about Molly. Thanks for your PM Im glad she's doing better. Leo is much better thanks, he has another week on antibiotics so we'll see how he is when he's finished the course.

Like you Im trying diet and supplements first.

Good luck

Mel

Hi Mel.
We had the fourth - and last :xfngr: - vet visit in nine days today. I told him I would book appointments every two months, but he said it would be waste of money.
He told me, which of course is right, that anal glands can become a problem within days, and a check every second month would only give us a false sense of security. In stead he recommended that we ourselves check their behinds every 3-4 days, and then rush to the vet, if they show any signs of scooting over the floor.
We will do that, of course, but it raises two other issues:
1) Sometimes they scoot just to show that they want to go outside and play!
2) Who will be appointed "Official Butt Inspector" (OBI?)

But I appreciated his honesty about the false sense of security, so until now we will, like you, wait and see.

I am glad to hear that Leo is better. He has had a rough time :(

Kind regards
Charlotte

1) Sometimes they scoot just to show that they want to go outside and play!
2) Who will be appointed "Official Butt Inspector" (OBI?)

Hi Charlotte

That made me smile:p

Thanks for that though It sounds like a really good idea. I spoke to my groomer who says they'll check Leo every time he goes there, (usually every 6 weeks) for a trim.
Will just try and really keep on top of it.

Mel

Hi Mel, What Diet are you feeding?

Molly, Dougall and Dotty are four next month. Almost from the begining, I have visited the vet every 4-6 weeks to have their glands expressed despite using pro-fibre supplied by the vet. About 8 weeks ago, I started using Mornflake Oatbran. The visit 5 weeks ago they were not so bad.

We took all three this afternoon (4 weeks on) and all three were completely clear. :jmp: this is quite a breakthrough!

This product is supposed to lower cholestral which is not relevant, I have attached a little information for you below. I buy it locally from our healthfood shop. It costs £1.75 for 500gms.

It might be worth a try!

http://www.mornflake.com/products/oatbran/oatbran_bag.php

Last edited:
Hi Tania,

Thank you so much:l*v:
I feed Leo Healthy Paws Holistic food. www.healthypaws.co.uk It's Rice and Lamb with added vitamins and minerals. It was designed by a vet nurse and it came recommended to us. Its a good quality food and Leo has thrived on it, he's lost weight and his coat and teeth are in tip top condition.

We tried the pro fibre before with little success so I will definitely try the Mornflake Oatbran.

Thats great news about your two and fills me with hope:jmp:

Thanks again,
Mel

Back