PDA

View Full Version : Best harness for dogs with SM?

3cavies
6th April 2011, 10:23 PM
What types of harnesses are best for dogs with SM?

Love my Cavaliers
6th April 2011, 11:14 PM
I like the step-in harnesses by Up Country (www.upcountryinc.com (http://www.upcountryinc.com)). They don't come anywhere near the neck area, are pretty easy to put on, and all of my dogs seem comfortable in them. I have one with SM, one with CM and one who had cervical decompression surgery - so all of mine except for one need to wear harnesses.

anniemac
7th April 2011, 03:02 AM
Everytime try new harness its a bust and a waste so I keep going back to one that I don't think is working. I need one that will also work with a puller. Does this one?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Chamberlain
7th April 2011, 01:48 PM
Thank you for posting this link!

My brother's English Cocker puppy will be ready to come home mid-may and my mother and I have been looking for "manly" collars! The fishing and hunting ones are perfect! Thanks! :p

Blondiemonster
7th April 2011, 07:26 PM
I have an upcountry one too. With little tatoos with hearts that say i love "mom". Cute.

jld
8th April 2011, 02:20 AM
I like the upcountry too

lovecavaliers
9th April 2011, 03:33 PM
I like the front clip "easy walk" harness, it also helps with keeping Jack from pulling and at my side. Only problem is if your dog jumps up a lot it can slip off so if that is the case the "puppyia" harness is a good comfy, and cute choice.

Tania
10th April 2011, 07:59 PM
I have links to several step in harnesses on my website. It is under Tips for living with an sm dog. http://www.cavaliermatters.org/

gyoselyn
11th April 2011, 09:50 PM
I use the "easy walk" harness too, but instead putting the rings on the front like it's supposed to, I rotate it to the top so the leash won't touch the neck area.

lovecavaliers
12th April 2011, 01:54 AM
Gemma maybe I am putting it on wrong but Jack's Easy Walk harness goes no where near his neck :confused:! It pulls on his chest when he pulls me but not his neck. He also pulls less because of the front hook.

gyoselyn
12th April 2011, 10:31 PM
lovecavaliers
Gemma maybe I am putting it on wrong but Jack's Easy Walk harness goes no where near his neck :confused:! It pulls on his chest when he pulls me but not his neck. He also pulls less because of the front hook.

You're right the harness doesn't come near the neck. Sorry I might wrote it wrong. For Corey he likes to walk in front of us (he doesn't pull though) and since the hook is on the front, the leash touches his neck area, it's hard to explain :eek:. But i notice when we rotate the hook to the the back he scratches less often.