• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Trimming/ Grooming

islewriter

Should I trim Kirra's coat, paws etc?

Kirra always looks as if she has a huge fur coat on and I was wondering if I really should get someone to trim her?

If so, anyone know who I can contact in the Northumberland area please?

I've moved this to its own thread

Kirra might be uncomfortable in the hot weather and is can also be hard to manage the coat.

You can either try to do it yourself, with the use of a Furminator and/or Mars Coat King [if you search the forum you will find more posts about both of these]. You can trim the fur on top of the paws with thinning scissors, underneath and around the paws with sharp scissors [obviously not for a show dog]

Alternatively it might be easier for you to find a dog groomer - you really want to find one by reputation - the best ones are usually booked up at lesat 6 weeks in advance so if someone offers you an immediate appointment perhaps be cautious. Ask local dog walkers, also at your vets.

When you do find one, write out exactly what you want done - ie all feathering removed, or left to a certain length, ears left to a certain length or trimmed off completely - so the groomer is clear - keep a copy for yourself.

Search on the forum for groomers - you will see sadly that they do not always understand our wishes :( and there have been a few disasters where dogs have been clipped very short.

Hi

My four go this Saturday and as Nicki indicated I rebook for next time when I pick them up .They all go approx every ten weeks I leave them at 10.00 pm in the morning and they are normally ready about 3.00 pm and again as Nicki says be very careful who you pick as I had a few disasters before I found this lady who at one time was a breeder and shower of Spaniels so she fully understands a Cavalier Cut means not a lot off .She charges for the four of them £125.00 which I am happy with as she does do a very thorough job and they are all nice and clean when collected, till the next day on the beach when Pops and Rosie do a spot of rocking and rolling on the sand . I do have a furminator and a coat king but much prefer to leave them to the experts as of course once you remove any hair you cant glue it back if you cxxxxx it up .:)

Ps Barbara also cleans their ears if needed cuts their nails and checks their anal glands.

I have a bit of a problem like you with my boy being so hairy, with particular problems in his tummy area. I would agree that if you want a groomer that is good book up early, on the recommendation of my neighbour I have recently phoned and maybe because I can only do it on a Saturday and they don`t work every one, I have to wait until the middle of June.

We get our two trimmed at the groomers. Like Brian says you can have a disaster or two before you find a decent groomer, but their hair grows back in soon enough.

While looking for "our" groomer we had a real disaster with Murphy. I specified only a trim for the feathers, ears, tail and belly, and cat paws for him as he slips on our kitchen floor. When I went to pick him up, the groomer had shaved him, something like a working Cocker clip:yikes I was devastated, his coat grew back quite quickly, but it's changed texture.

We then found a great groomer, who even has a mobile van all kitted out. Both Misty and Murphy love going to see her, and I'm always happy with the results.

I'd say get her groomed but always be very, very specific when explaining what you want :)

I had Bentley groomed only once so far. She said she took it easy first time (bath, toenails, etc) so as to keep him happy & calm first time around. That has been 6 wks or so, then the vet trimmed his toenails again last week but didn't do anything about the feathers between his toes. The past few days he's been licking/chewing on his feet so I'm thinking maybe he needs that trimmed out. This is all new to me since I've never even had a house dog before. I love the way he looks so would never want him shaved! I've noticed, on the few warm days we've had, he doesn't deal with the heat well, as I've read is normal for Cavs. Won't be able to keep him outside long this summer when taking a potty break!

We're getting Charlie cut on Monday as the weather is starting to get warmer and his quite uncomfortable with all the hair on him

I know the tradition is to keep their coats long and luxurious, but it's sometimes difficult to manage (for both dog and person!). I get a bit of a trim for my dogs about twice a year, especially before it starts warming up. They seem to be in better form after a good ol' groomin' as well.

Back