• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My poor little chap

meljoy

Leo has another abcess in his anal glands. I posted about this on the Health section. He's on antibiotics and Im taking him back for review on Monday.
The vet said we'll talk about him having his glands removed:(
I feel so helpless at the moment as he's in so much discomfort. I know it's early days as he only started the pain meds and antibiotics yesterday.

Every now and again he whimpers and looks at me as if to say "Help it hurts":(
It's breaking my heart. Anyone got any ideas on anything else I can do to help the discomfort?

Maybe ice pack with soft cloth??

I know my neighbor used that on her dog when he had anal pain. Just make sure wrapped in soft cloth so the ice pack does not directly contact his skin. That is the one suggestion I have. Hope he is better soon.... big hug to you both.

Poor Leo. It's terrible when they are not feeling well and you can't do much about it. The meds should start helping soon.

Poor Leo! I hate when dogs hurt, because they cannot talk to us and tell us what they want or need :(
I hope he gets better soon!

I know my neighbor used that on her dog when he had anal pain. Just make sure wrapped in soft cloth so the ice pack does not directly contact his skin. That is the one suggestion I have. Hope he is better soon.... big hug to you both.

I have actually used a warm damp flannel as a poultice to help bring an anal gland to a head. Dogs usually seem more comfortable once it has burst.

Good point Margaret...

I just asked my neighbor and hers had already burst so the vet recommended the ice pack, but what you said makes more sense for her to do now.

Poor wee fellow - yes before they burst, definitely heat then cold after they burst.

This is such a painful condition :(

However I would try to avoid the surgery unless it is essential - there are risks of faecal incontinence, also it can cause issues when you meet other dogs as the anal glands and their horrible smell are an important part of communication.

Have you tried giving him 2tsps of oatbran [or wheatbran] dampened in his food once a day? That can help - part of the problem sometimes is that the stools are not firm enough to put pressure on the glands when they are passed [which is why a raw diet can help too].

Do you have them regularly expressed? Your vet can teach you to do that.

Do hope the wee man will be a lot more comfortable soon.

so sorry to read this. hope hes feeling better now . ruby had an anal abcess and i didnt know until it was so big she squealed as i picked her up . i live in fear of it returning . she is on burns mini bites and i am going to take her every few weeks to have them emptied . she hates it and really squirms . its sad they have to endure these things :(

Thanks again everyone. Leo is much better today thankfully. Surgery is the last option that I'll take.

I'll try the wheatbran Nicki and see if that helps.

thank you

Mel X

Glad he's better today, its a terrible thing and I felt so upset when Bella had her problem. I switched to Burns Hi Oats food and I take her to the vets every 6 weeks to have her glands empty. Like you I'm scared of it happening again but so far so good.

Back