PDA

View Full Version : Please keep Jade in your thoughts

Kathleen
9th April 2011, 07:24 AM
Hi all. My Jade had to undergo emergency surgery yesterday to remove an intestinal blockage. On Thursday night, she got into the rubbish and stole a corn cob and by the time I caught her, she had swallowed several pieces. Jade usually swallows everything whole and I am so careful to watch what she picks up on walks etc, but she was too quick this time. We were at my folks house and they had forgotten to take the rubbish bag to the outside bin. Of course we all feel so guilty and I am devastated that my baby has to go through this. I went to see her last night and she was understandably very sleepy and will be staying in for a few days. Please think of her. I pray she makes a good recovery.

Love my Cavaliers
9th April 2011, 07:41 AM
Oh Kathleen I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, but it sounds like she's come through o.k. At least you caught it time before serious damage was done to her. My Oliver swallowed a cat toy and had an intestinal blockage when he was three and lost two feet of his intestines which had turned gangrenous. He is absolutely fine now and is on a regular diet. Luckily these guys are pretty resilient. I'll be keeping you and Jade in my thoughts and prayers though until we're sure she's safe at home with you and out of the woods.

sins
9th April 2011, 07:52 AM
So sorry to hear this Kathleen.They're such total scavengers sometimes,they can guzzle down something in the blink of an eye.It's good that she's through the surgery and we wish her all the best for a full and speedy recovery.
Sins

Ddavis
9th April 2011, 07:55 AM
How terrible. You and Jade are in my thoughts and prayers and here is hoping for a quick and full recovery and that Jade is back home very soon.

Wagtails
9th April 2011, 09:37 AM
Oh that is so distressing for you all. Cavaliers can be SUCH guzzle-guts and you can't possibly watch over them all the time. At least you knew what had happened and acted quickly, so I'm sure Jade will be fine once she's over the surgery.

Good luck little one and do let us know how she gets on

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Cavviewagtails/Animations/Dog%20animations/GetWellSoonCavvie.jpg

Sandrac
9th April 2011, 10:35 AM
What a shock for you. Hope that Jade is soon back home. Sending her lots of get well wishes.:flwr:

Sabby
9th April 2011, 10:42 AM
Glad you saw it and cought in time. Hope and praying for a speedy recovery.

:hug:

Nicki
9th April 2011, 12:05 PM
Oh goodness how scary :(:(

Well done on catching it though, it is one of those things that doesn't show up on X-ray and sadly I remember another Cavalier having to be euthanised some years back on another forum who had swallowed a corn cob, and by the time it was realised it was too late to save her :(:(

Something to be aware of, how dangerous some things can be...

Great news that Jade has come though the operation and wishing her a very speedy recovery

GraciesMom
9th April 2011, 01:02 PM
I am so so sorry. This can happen with any dog. We have to constantly figure out what Gracie might chew up. We humans are not perfect so try not to beat yourselves up too much. Praying for a swift and easy recovery!

Margaret C
9th April 2011, 01:43 PM
Cavaliers are such greedy little dogs. Thank goodness you realised what she had done.

I hope she is home with you soon.

lovecavaliers
9th April 2011, 03:13 PM
Jack is always picking up stuff, I feel like on our walks, I am always telling him to "leave it".
Anyway, I am sorry to hear about your dear Jade. I am glad she got the necc. medical care (thank goodness for such a good mommy). Will be thinking of you both and sending you positive vibes for a speedy recovery

meljoy
9th April 2011, 03:40 PM
Thats terrible. Hoping Jade gets a speedy recovery and maybe she'll learn her lesson....but being a cavalier I doubt it:rolleyes:

Kathleen
9th April 2011, 04:17 PM
Saw Jade this morning and she stood up, wagged her tail and then fell asleep on her blanket which I brought from home. They said she vomited this morning, but that could be expected and she was scratching her neck (SM pain). I have given them her SM meds and once they gave them to her, she seemed more settled. Am on my way to see her again now.

Love my Cavaliers
9th April 2011, 05:24 PM
When Oliver came home from the hospital after his surgery from his intestinal blockage he just wanted to sleep in his crate for days - and he hadn't been in a crate for years. I guess he felt safe there, and it kept him somewhat isolated from the other dogs. I put it in the living room with the door open so he was around us but he could still be out of the action if he wanted.

What a terrible thing to happen to Jade on top of her SM. Hopefully she'll be able to start keeping her food down soon. Once that happens she should be able to come home. Keeping you in our thoughts.

Kathleen
9th April 2011, 09:26 PM
It's a roller coaster I'm afraid. Jade was really bad tonight and the vets don't know why. She is extremely weak and can barely lift her head and when she tries she her head is wobbly. Her vital signs are all normal, her BP was low, but now stable. Maybe the pain meds and Gabapentin are too much for her or the anesthetic isn't out her system? She is the most critical patient in the ICU and I pray she makes it through the night. The vets describe her as "flat" and were going to try to get some glucose into her although her blood sugar levels are fine and no sign of infection. If you see this post tonight, please pray for Jade.

Furrfoot
9th April 2011, 09:41 PM
I'm sorry she's not recovering as quickly as hoped. I will say a prayer.

Love my Cavaliers
9th April 2011, 10:49 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry. I keep looking hoping to find that she's ready to come home. Saying a prayer for both of you. Hoping Thomas is not looking all over the house for Jade. He must be lonely and wondering where she is.

Jasper and Holly
10th April 2011, 02:12 AM
Sorry to hear about Jade. They are such greedy guts! I hope she starts to recover soon. Thinking about you.

mommytoClaire
10th April 2011, 05:23 AM
Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about Jade, and then the complications today. I am saying a prayer for her right now!

Cindy and Claire

Kathleen
10th April 2011, 10:24 AM
My beautiful Jade passed away at 2 am. They think it was the combination of SM meds and residual anesthetic. My girl suffered so much throughout her life with her severe SM and maybe this was God's way of setting her free. I am absolutely heartbroken and will post a fitting tribute when I am able. Thank you for your prayers - at least she is now pain free and having fun at the bridge.

sins
10th April 2011, 10:57 AM
Kathleen,
I'm so truly sorry to read this sad news this morning.
Perhaps she just decided it was time.It just seems sometimes that there's no justice when our little dogs have to suffer from SM.It's hard though when something unexpected happens like this.Jade is at peace and I hope you can cherish the happy memories of the good times.
Sins

Bet
10th April 2011, 11:29 AM
My beautiful Jade passed away at 2 am. They think it was the combination of SM meds and residual anesthetic. My girl suffered so much throughout her life with her severe SM and maybe this was God's way of setting her free. I am absolutely heartbroken and will post a fitting tribute when I am able. Thank you for your prayers - at least she is now pain free and having fun at the bridge.

PLEASE KEEP JADE IN YOUR THOUGHTS

Kathleen,

I was so sorry to read your Post about Jade.

You will be numb at the moment.

Bet

Nicki
10th April 2011, 12:45 PM
Oh no I'm just so very sorry what a tragic thing to happen :(:(

Maybe the combination was too much for her but please do not feel guilty at all, she obviously needed the pain meds as she was scratching and you wouldn't have wanted her to be uncomfortable - no-one could have foreseen that this would happen

Poor wee soul - no more pain now and imagine her running free with all our other Angels.

I feel for you - it is such a dreadful loss when we are so attached to our beloved companions - especially when it's so unexpected like this.

take care of yourself, we are all thinking of you :flwr::flwr:

***I'm very sorry I didn't see this post when I put my thread up about bibs, I would not have put it up last night if I had seen this, so I do hope it has not caused offence for bad timing***

Love my Cavaliers
10th April 2011, 04:50 PM
Oh Kathleen I'm so sorry. I love how Nicki put it - pain free and running with all the other angels. Unfortunately your heart is broken though and it is so sad. Hug your little Thomas extra special now. Run like the wind Jade - no more SM to stop you.

emmastewartliberty
10th April 2011, 06:55 PM
I'm so desperately sorry.

Tania
10th April 2011, 07:47 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you. Little Jade is free from pain and will now be at peace.

meljoy
10th April 2011, 10:24 PM
Kathleen Im so very sorry to read of this sad and tragic outcome.
Sending love and best wishes your way.:hug::lotsaluv::flwr:

BrooklynMom
10th April 2011, 11:35 PM
Oh no! Do not feel guilty, you could have never controlled that and it could have happened to any of us. They are curious little ones who will just pop anything in their mouth, but it sounds like she made it through and trust that the vets are doing everything they can to make her comfortable and pain free.
You are all in my thoughts and prayers :hug:

Here's to a speedy recovery!!!

Charlifarley
10th April 2011, 11:53 PM
I'm so so sorry to read about Jade.

team bella
11th April 2011, 12:45 AM
Oh kathleen I'm so very sorry for your loss. Its a terrible shock for you. As an earlier post said it was maybe just her time and she's now pain free. I know its not much comfort but she's lucky to have had a loving mummy like you:hug::hug:

Jasper and Holly
11th April 2011, 04:37 AM
My heart goes out to you. You would be heartbroken right now, who wouldn't. It's such a terrible thing to deal with and I really feel for you. :hug:

MishathePooh
11th April 2011, 04:44 AM
Thoughts and prayers with you. I am so sorry for your loss.

BrooklynMom
11th April 2011, 06:14 AM
Oh I am so sorry to read about Jade. I posted right away yesterday after I read your post but did it in such a rush that I didnt get through the rest of the replies. I am so sorry.

No words can ever be enough for a loss, so I will just say that my heart goes out to you and I am sending whatever bits and pieces of love I can your way. Hang in there and let yourself grieve and then when you go to sleep, let yourself dream...of Jade running pain free in heaven smiling down on you.

Furrfoot
11th April 2011, 06:38 AM
I am so sorry...

Ddavis
11th April 2011, 11:19 AM
Kathleen I am so very very sorry for your loss. It is never easy, but when it is unexpected it seems a little worse. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I just know that Jade is happy and painfree now.

kimy27
11th April 2011, 03:45 PM
Oh no I am just reading this now. I am so very sorry to hear about Jade :hug:

Margaret C
13th April 2011, 12:22 AM
So sorry to hear this has happened. These little dogs of ours are so precious.

My very best wishes,

GraciesMom
13th April 2011, 01:04 AM
I know you have an angel watching over you now .... her name is Jade and no CM. Just a happy gal with a wagging tail.

lovecavaliers
13th April 2011, 03:07 AM
Just saw this. I am so very very sorry for your loss. I have tears in my eyes because I know how heartbreaking losing a pet/best friend can be. May your sweet girl be pain free and watch over you.
Deepest sympathies.

Rubysmum
13th April 2011, 10:43 PM
im so sorry to have read this :( my heart goes out to you and the poem is beautiful. i want ruby to be a therapy dog one day and seeing your jade putting a smile on peoples faces has made me more determined . hope you can eventually bear your loss with a smile as well as tears as im sure thats what jade would want xxx