• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please keep Jade in your thoughts

Kathleen

Hi all. My Jade had to undergo emergency surgery yesterday to remove an intestinal blockage. On Thursday night, she got into the rubbish and stole a corn cob and by the time I caught her, she had swallowed several pieces. Jade usually swallows everything whole and I am so careful to watch what she picks up on walks etc, but she was too quick this time. We were at my folks house and they had forgotten to take the rubbish bag to the outside bin. Of course we all feel so guilty and I am devastated that my baby has to go through this. I went to see her last night and she was understandably very sleepy and will be staying in for a few days. Please think of her. I pray she makes a good recovery.

Oh Kathleen I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, but it sounds like she's come through o.k. At least you caught it time before serious damage was done to her. My Oliver swallowed a cat toy and had an intestinal blockage when he was three and lost two feet of his intestines which had turned gangrenous. He is absolutely fine now and is on a regular diet. Luckily these guys are pretty resilient. I'll be keeping you and Jade in my thoughts and prayers though until we're sure she's safe at home with you and out of the woods.

So sorry to hear this Kathleen.They're such total scavengers sometimes,they can guzzle down something in the blink of an eye.It's good that she's through the surgery and we wish her all the best for a full and speedy recovery.
Sins

How terrible. You and Jade are in my thoughts and prayers and here is hoping for a quick and full recovery and that Jade is back home very soon.

Oh that is so distressing for you all. Cavaliers can be SUCH guzzle-guts and you can't possibly watch over them all the time. At least you knew what had happened and acted quickly, so I'm sure Jade will be fine once she's over the surgery.

Good luck little one and do let us know how she gets on

GetWellSoonCavvie.jpg

What a shock for you. Hope that Jade is soon back home. Sending her lots of get well wishes.:flwr:

Glad you saw it and cought in time. Hope and praying for a speedy recovery.

:hug:

Oh goodness how scary :(:(

Well done on catching it though, it is one of those things that doesn't show up on X-ray and sadly I remember another Cavalier having to be euthanised some years back on another forum who had swallowed a corn cob, and by the time it was realised it was too late to save her :(:(

Something to be aware of, how dangerous some things can be...

Great news that Jade has come though the operation and wishing her a very speedy recovery

Sounds just like something Gracie would do....

I am so so sorry. This can happen with any dog. We have to constantly figure out what Gracie might chew up. We humans are not perfect so try not to beat yourselves up too much. Praying for a swift and easy recovery!

Cavaliers are such greedy little dogs. Thank goodness you realised what she had done.

I hope she is home with you soon.

Jack is always picking up stuff, I feel like on our walks, I am always telling him to "leave it".
Anyway, I am sorry to hear about your dear Jade. I am glad she got the necc. medical care (thank goodness for such a good mommy). Will be thinking of you both and sending you positive vibes for a speedy recovery

Thats terrible. Hoping Jade gets a speedy recovery and maybe she'll learn her lesson....but being a cavalier I doubt it:rolleyes:

Saw Jade this morning and she stood up, wagged her tail and then fell asleep on her blanket which I brought from home. They said she vomited this morning, but that could be expected and she was scratching her neck (SM pain). I have given them her SM meds and once they gave them to her, she seemed more settled. Am on my way to see her again now.

When Oliver came home from the hospital after his surgery from his intestinal blockage he just wanted to sleep in his crate for days - and he hadn't been in a crate for years. I guess he felt safe there, and it kept him somewhat isolated from the other dogs. I put it in the living room with the door open so he was around us but he could still be out of the action if he wanted.

What a terrible thing to happen to Jade on top of her SM. Hopefully she'll be able to start keeping her food down soon. Once that happens she should be able to come home. Keeping you in our thoughts.

It's a roller coaster I'm afraid. Jade was really bad tonight and the vets don't know why. She is extremely weak and can barely lift her head and when she tries she her head is wobbly. Her vital signs are all normal, her BP was low, but now stable. Maybe the pain meds and Gabapentin are too much for her or the anesthetic isn't out her system? She is the most critical patient in the ICU and I pray she makes it through the night. The vets describe her as "flat" and were going to try to get some glucose into her although her blood sugar levels are fine and no sign of infection. If you see this post tonight, please pray for Jade.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I keep looking hoping to find that she's ready to come home. Saying a prayer for both of you. Hoping Thomas is not looking all over the house for Jade. He must be lonely and wondering where she is.

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about Jade, and then the complications today. I am saying a prayer for her right now!

Cindy and Claire

My beautiful Jade passed away at 2 am. They think it was the combination of SM meds and residual anesthetic. My girl suffered so much throughout her life with her severe SM and maybe this was God's way of setting her free. I am absolutely heartbroken and will post a fitting tribute when I am able. Thank you for your prayers - at least she is now pain free and having fun at the bridge.

Back