• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

weight chart?

theresa d

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Is there any such thing as a weight chart for Cavs? Cooper,not a year old 'till june seems to be growing by the day!! I weighed him to worm him last month and I noticed he's getting heavy so I weighed him again yesterday, (18 days after last weigh in) and I thought I was seeing things when he'd put up a full kg in the 18days! He now weighs a stone,just over 6kgs. he's fed on Burns hypoallergenic as he has a history of colitis and I feed him separately from my other Cav so he doesnt steal,he doesnt get treats very often at all,I think he must have a secret stash of goodies somewhere cas I've no idea how he's getttin so tubby!!

Im not sure about the chart but 6 kgs doesnt sound too big to me mimi who will also be a year old in june was weighed for worming at the vets about a month ago and she was 7.3kgs and i have had comments saying she looks quite lean, i think yours sounds on the right track if mine is anything to go by.

2011-03-28 11.06.05 by whittakeramy, on Flickr

this picture was taken about 2 weeks after she was weighed but unsure is she has put on more since then.

Is he getting a bit pudgy or just growing like the clappers? 6kg isn't "fat" for a Cavalier, even at 10/11 months - around the 10kg mark is normal for my guys and they are not fat (granted, they are stocky Cavs). Pups can suddenly spurt as if out of nowhere, and other factors can account for a sudden weight gain on the scales (relative time of meal, a lot of water taken that day etc.). If he is looking healthy, acting normally and eating the correct amount for weight and age I wouldn't worry. As long as you cen feel his ribs by putting a small amount of pressure his sides he's fine!

I was also wondering if there was a weight chart for Cavaliers.

Chamberlain is 8 months old and weighs 13lb. I want to make sure he's on track!

There really isn't any such thing as a weight chart–there is a breed standard, which some dogs fit And some dogs do not. Puppies can grow at any range of speeds and males often continue to put on weight and fill out until they are close to two years old. Every individual is different, grows at a different speed, and will end up a different size and builds can also be different so no one can really tell you what is right according to a chart.

However, a dog should not look fat when viewed from above; you will need to press in the coat to make sure that the coat isn't making the dog look heavier than he or she is, but a dog should have a slight indentation at the waist and you should be able to feel their ribs. In a heavy dog, you really have to press in and move your hand around on their ribs to get to barely feel them under the fat.

This webpage from a well known breeder has images of what a healthy dog should look like from above. She also advises on feeding:

http://www.roycroftinformationcenter.com/Roycroft Cavaliers/Roycroft Cavalier Care Feeding new.html

6 kg is a very small size for a male Cavalier–at the very bottom of the breed standard–so unless you have a tiny dog, I can't possibly imagine that this is “pudgy”. (y) At his age, he also should still be gaining weight. If you are concerned that you have a dog that is rapidly gaining weight for no obvious reason, and that you think is overweight, it would be a good idea to make an appointment with your vet to discuss the concerns. A vet will be able to tell you whether you have a dog that is the correct shape and weight for its size. :)

Coco is 8 months old and weighs in at 11lbs. As a younger puppy she grew very slowly and I was worried she would be tiny. I have been surprised as of lately, I wake up and think to myself "gosh she looks bigger than yesterday"

I have been keeping Coco's own personal weight chart, but as Karlin said no dog is going to grow at the same speed so it really cannot be accurate to make one set chart meant for all dogs.

I often worry if Helio is too heavy too. He's going to be 7 months in about two weeks, and he already weighs at least 15 pounds -- and that was the last time I weighed him, about a month ago! He doesn't look big though, in fact, he looks very small, but boy is he heavy! I just don't understand where he puts it away!

Thanks for all the replies! Those photos are a great guide Karlin,he looks like he's on his way to the third one to be honest! not quite as tubby but he's not the first or second thats for sure! He doesnt have a waistline but I can feel his ribs,not too worried now,I'll just keep an eye on it. Everyone telling me my other Cav Bella is underweight and to me she's fine and healthy,she looks like the first pic. So i'm happy with her too.
Thanks guys!

Back