• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rose is getting spayed tomorrow...

Furrfoot

Rose is getting spayed tomorrow, any prayers for an uncomplicated surgery and recovery would be appreciated! She has bloodwork in the morning (handcount platelets and a clotting factor test), her surgery and then I go pick her up in the evening if everything goes well. I'm sure she'll handle tomorrow better than I will, heh icon_blshing.

Good luck! She will be in my prayers all day, but I know that she will be just fine...and trust she will get a lot of extra loving and pampering when she gets home! :lotsaluv:

Out of curiosity (since I am about to get Brooklyn spayed), how old is Rose? I will look forward to hearing how it went and how she recovers...I wonder so much what it will be like!

Good luck tomorrow!

Good luck!!!

I know it will go WONDERFULLY!!!! Mommies are always more nervous than the doggies!

We had laser spaying here for Gracie. It was about $40 more but I recommend it to anyone who has access to that process. Healed very fast and she did not lick at her wound at all.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone :) . Just waiting to hear, now...

Good luck! She will be in my prayers all day, but I know that she will be just fine...and trust she will get a lot of extra loving and pampering when she gets home! :lotsaluv:

Out of curiosity (since I am about to get Brooklyn spayed), how old is Rose? I will look forward to hearing how it went and how she recovers...I wonder so much what it will be like!

Good luck tomorrow!

Rose will be 1 year on April 29th. We were going to have her spayed 2-3 months ago, but her bloodwork came back funny (large platelets) and our vet didn't know this was not uncommon in Cavaliers. The next day she came into heat :rolleyes: . We went back and forth about when (before or after the first heat), and decided, based on the number of dogs we had around here when our boxer came into heat (nothing sounds quite like a lovesick bassett hound, haha), that we would do it before. Ha. ;) . I think it's just a personal decision you make based on the facts. There are several good threads and links on here about spaying/neutering. The main difference I found was that they may be a tad taller, due to the growth plates closing later if you get them spayed before their first heat.

Good luck with your decision! I'll let y'all know how she's doing, thanks!

We're finally home and settled in :) . The vet said she did really well, but was having some discomfort so they gave her a little pain shot. She seems happy to be home, as happy as she can be in her slightly loopy state. I'm washing her onsies right now (I'm a week behind in laundry, heh) so she can sleep more comfortably. The inflatable ring I got her looks like it's even more uncomfortable for her than a cone :( .

Oh, and she probably has allergies, but I can deal with that (the vet and I think it's seasonal, so she's got some antihistamines to try for two weeks). Deep in her ears were red, and they had been itching her everytime she comes in from outside, so I asked her to check them while she was there. Poor baby. We go back tomorrow for a stitch and temp check. Thanks so much! :l*v:

Glad she's home with you. Both my girls did just fine with their spays - minimal discomfort and neither of them bothered their stitches. Hopefully you'll both have a good night's rest.

That is great to hear! I am glad she is home. I think Brooklyn has some allergies too that they are checking when she gets spayed. Antihistamines should help!

So...what sort of blow up thing did you get her? I am curious! I have only heard of the cone. I hate those things (well, actually I think they are really cute on the pups in a funny way, but they can't be comfortable for them!). I know that Brooklyn will be all over her stitches because she always bites down there anyway so I want to make sure she is protected when I am not around or am sleeping.

Anyway, I am glad she is home! :lotsaluv: Hopefully the pain will chill out a bit.

Thanks so much :) . She is feeling much better this morning :) .

Brooklynmom, it was either this one, or one very similar (I can't find the box at the moment...):

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4237585

Rose is leaving hers alone, but she slept in a baby onsie with a tail hole cut out last night (read about that here). I put it on her "backwards" and snapped the crotch together on top of her hips.

Okay, she's not totally leaving it alone, I just had to stop and put her onsie back on:eek:. I think I will get her a new one this afternoon that the neck with snaps, instead of the fold over kind (I had to put a stitch in each side so this one stayed on), but other than that, it's working pretty well :) . A thrift or secondhand store is a good place to find them inexpensively, and since babies grow out of them so quickly, they are usually in pretty good condition (stitching wise at least ;) ).

So glad she is better....

She will soon be back to normal. Gracie is sneezing outside too... sooooo much pollen on everything. I will have to keep watch on her ears.

I am so glad everything went ok! I am terribly nervous about spaying Coco, with her possible liver problems and not being able to process anesthesia... plus on my Ragdoll forum someone had just had their Pomeranian mix spayed and she passed away :( :(

Lucky you guys have this experience over with and done!

A baby onsie! What a great idea!!! What size did you get? I will get one now, just scheduled Brooklyn in for her spay in 3 weeks :) I am so nervous, but the forum is making it seem so much better for me. I chatted with my vet yesterday and she said they now do it microscopically and she will only have like 3 stitches. Cool!

:)

Oh, Alisha, that's so sad... :( . I'm sure that your vet can help you figure something out for Coco...

Brooklynmom, I got this one from the Dollar Tree, and the sizes were all wonky (and the snaps didn't hold up- I sewed ribbons on it today to tie it together. It's kinda cute :eek:). I just got the biggest one I could find. I got one at the Thrift store today. When I wash it tonight, I'll look again and see what size it is (I've forgotten already! lol) and let you know if it fits.

Thanks for letting me know on that size when you get a chance.
I have a picture in my mind of Rose with a cute little ribbon onsie on ;) you must take a pic and post it!

I'll see if she'll stand for it, haha. ;) Literally, poor baby is worn plum out tonight. If not tonight, most likely tomorrow :) .

Here is Vivian in her onse after spay. She was done laproscopic version, no stitched just a couple of short wounds glued shut.

She did not bother the incisions at all, I had more trouble keeping the onse from falling off her shoulders. It rubbed the hair off her legs at the elbow. Next time will sew a tuck in the back to keep it from falling.

Still stoned from surgery. Post a picture when you can.
026 by suzannern99, on Flickr

Awww, she's so cute! That's the kind of onsie we have too. I put a couple of tucks in the neck, and sewed a ribbon on the top of the neck so I could adjust how much smaller I wanted it to be. I'll point that out when I get a pic up :) .

Back