• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rebel's 3 Months Check Up At The Vet's Yesterday

ByFloSin

Rebel had a further 3 month check at the vet's yesterday. He is much improved since starting the Frusemide. Again he insisted on walking the 2 miles or so each way between the surgery and home. When examined the vet commented that he is much more relaxed than when she last saw him and I was able to tell her that he is no longer screaming and has lost his photophobia.

She checked his heart again carefully, which remains an asymptomatic grade 2.

I was really pleased when she remarked on his hard muscular condition. Thank goodness for someone who realised that toy dogs need as much exercise as all the others.

We then got on to my one concern. Rebel started scratching his middle, not air scratching but making contact with his hair and skin, some months ago and it has been getting gradually more persistent. On the walks yesterday he made his usual pit stops to mark street furniture and trees every minute on average. Each time he scratched his flank. Inside the house it is neither connected either with walking or passing urine, so these two connections are discounted.

He has had skin inspections plus a scraping examined under the microscope, with nothing found. He has been checked for parasites, without result.

What I would welcome advice about is whether the scratching is to relieve pain or perhaps it is just some kind of fettish or perhaps an allergy now comes to mind. He definitely shows no signs of the air scratching which is so typical in SM.

Apart from the scratching and the need for Frusemide he is a happy and active 8 1/2 years old Cavalier.

Can anyone tell me whether he definitely needs treatment for the scratching? If so, with what?

I'm sure you are far more knowledgeable than me, Flo, but my old Megan also did a lot of "unidentified" scratching round her midriff at one point, just after she was diagnosed with SM. I just assumed it "must" be that, but my vet was more sceptical and kept telling me that he was sure "something else was going on". In the end he was quite right - she had mange, picked up, we assume, from contact with local foxes at a time when she was vulnerable. But it took AGES to come out and even longer to treat, unfortunately.

The other reason why almost every Cavalier I have ever owned has scratched at midriff is when anal glands need clearing - could it be that?

Hope you sort it out for Rebel - sounds like he's doing really well otherwise. Do let us know how you get on.

So glad Rebel had a good report from the vet. Oliver too is a bit scratchy at the moment, but it really doesn't look like SM scratching - probably need to check for Little Visitors and Frontline all round. Aled is the only dog I know who can have fleas and never scratch - whereas Oliver gets one and then scratches for ever because he's allergic to flea droppings.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Great news about Rebel's heart but I'm sorry about your concerns for him :(

Anal glands does sound a possibility, I think I would rule everything out first before considering the possibility of SM. Paws crossed that you find the cause.

Great news about Rebel.
Like Nicki said eliminate everything else before thinking of SM.

Sabby and Nicki, Rebel's MRI scan almost 2 years ago showed that he has full blown SM, CM and curvature of the spine. He was asymptomatic for a year after diagnosis, then problems gradually set in, which is why he now has Frusemide.

The scratching could be due to SM or to another cause, which is why I am trying to rule everything else out before increasing the meds.

Back