PDA

View Full Version : What options do we have. ? temp foster Dublin area



gerry
18th April 2011, 09:28 PM
Sorry for editing the first post but I wanted to take down some of the personal info.

Just a quick update, some good things have been happening and there's been some enormous generosity shown. I'll post an update when things are definite.

Zumie05
18th April 2011, 09:35 PM
So sorry to hear the situation you guys are all in :( Its not easy. My parents split when I was pretty young, so I understand the tension.

I have heard of long term dog sitters. There are people out there who will take care of your dog for 6 months to 2 years for you, as long as you pay for food and any regular vet bills. Some may not make you pay for food, but regardelss I have heard of these kinds of people.

I might start off with talking to rescue organizations to see if anyone would be willing to foster Smurf with the understanding that he is not up for adoption, unless you realize at a later date that you cannot take him back - in which case the foster will know him so well and be able to place him in a superb home.

There are options, hang in there.

Soushiruiuma
18th April 2011, 09:53 PM
Where are you located? Are you in touch with his breeder? Depending on your relationship with her (or him), she/he might be able to help either with short-term or long-term homing.

Do you have any responsible friends who love animals? Even if they can't take him they might know someone who could. As zumie said rescues might be able to help.
There are options, don't just give him away.

gerry
18th April 2011, 10:42 PM
We're in Dublin, Ireland.

A place that would take him as you say with us paying for food/vet/other expenses would be perfect.

My mum was in touch with the breeder already, she said she might have a friend who could take him, but I'm not sure was that on an short term basis or permanent.

Definitely a good idea, thanks!

Karlin
19th April 2011, 12:09 AM
You could board him longterm but that will cost money. If you take him, Dog Training Ireland do doggie day care for around 15 euro a day. Doing a basic training class, if he has never done so, would likely help with some management issues for your or your mother if she keeps him.

Leaving him alone all day every working day would not be a great quality of life for him and he'd need at least someone in midday to let him out for a walk and to relieve himself. Also he'd need active safe toys like a kong stuffed and frozen, to keep him busy.

If you cannot find a resolution, rather than give him away I'd suggest contacting the rescue group here. if you do decide to rehome yourself, please ensure he is neutered as his single biggest risk would be to end up ins some hideous situation being used as a stud dog in a puppy farm. They are adept at appearing above board. A neutered dog will not face this risk.

Blondiemonster
19th April 2011, 07:04 AM
So sorry for what u r going through.. he is a beautiful boy. i would also check with cavalier rescue if u think of rehoming and find parents that have had a background check of some sort. The rescue is a very good way to fi d qualified responsible owners.. if its temporary i think u should be able to find foster parents.. Give yourself enough time to make the right decision for both of u.

BrooklynMom
19th April 2011, 09:08 AM
I so wish I could help you! If you were in Australia, I would in a heart beat.

But since I am not, I am just writing to say how much I am thinking of you. What a hard and horrible time for everyone. Just make sure the Smurf is loved, looked after and fed...and loved again. Just you reaching out here shows how much you care for him and I trust that the hard work you are putting in will help him and you. Good luck, there are a lot of people here who are so smart and resourceful that you will get wonderful support.
:hug:

Nicki
19th April 2011, 01:27 PM
What a dreadful situation to find yourselves in :(

Thank you for thinking of the gorgeous Smurf, sadly sometimes in these situations no-one is thinking of the family pets.

He looks a lovely dog - and perhaps with some additional training and help such as a dog sitter/walker for part of the day you could manage to have him living with you, IF your housemates are in agreement? It's very hard as I guess you are at an age where socialising is important ;) and a dog is a huge commitment - it's not fair to be at work all day and then out in the evening too.

However to give yourself time to look at all the possibilities and as you say, avoid a knee jerk reaction, it may help to find a temporary foster. I've changed the title of the thread to reflect this - we do have a few members in your area and perhaps one of them might be able to help?

If you do go this route, please have a read of this http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/entry.php?185-Boarding-a-dog-with-someone-else... might give you a few pointers.


We are all thinking of you, it truly is a horrid situation to find yourselves in and we hope that the best possible outcome awaits you all.

gerry
19th April 2011, 09:00 PM
Well it's not looking good, the house he's staying in at the moment can't take him past Thursday and the breeder has someone she wants to give him to, permanently.

So much for no knee jerk decisions... i was only told this was being considered yesterday!

What are the chances of finding a temporary foster situation? Or even how much would it cost to have him minded for a few months?

Blondiemonster
20th April 2011, 02:22 AM
I wish I could help.. I would take him if u were in the US.. :(
Is there really nobody on this board? I would keep posting, I really think there HAS to be someone on this board will foster , especially if u help out with costs like food/meds/vet/etc,,

Karlin
22nd April 2011, 09:06 PM
I am sorry this is such a stressful and difficult time for your family.

It will likely cost you 10-15 euro or so a day to kennel or home-board him, so probably around 350-400 a month.

On the larger issue: it is also perhaps not fair to send him off to kennels (in particular) or another home for several months as opposed to rehoming him, if there's the chance of a good home and no certainty at this time that anyone will be able to take him back many months from now. It can be very difficult to find apartments that will accept pets.

Sometimes situations arise that are just very hard to manage and difficult choices that include what is best for the welfare of a loved companion, need to be considered. Perhaps you can kennel him for a week or two while you consider options so that you are not making a hard decision in one or two days. There are many kennels -- I'd start making some phone calls tomorrow and visit a couple to find something that suits best.

I am sure cavalier rescue here will also help rehome if you'd rather not go through the breeder.

gerry
26th April 2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm just giving a quick update on this. He's gone to stay with a family we know, it's potentially permanent but also potentially not depending on how things work out. It's close enough to visit, which is good. We'll see how it goes.

We also had an enormously generous offer to look after him from someone on here, I'm not sure if she wants to be named as she didn't post in the thread, but we really can't thank her enough.

Thanks again everybody.

Karlin
27th April 2011, 12:00 AM
That's great; best of luck and hope all works out OK for your family.