• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How tall is your Cavalier?

Piper

I guess Piper is pretty tall for a Cavie. He is 14 and a quarter at the shoulder. Any one else have bigger guys or gals? He's 16 pounds now so I think he good on weight.
Oh and he's almost 8 months old so I'm hoping he's done growing now.

That's tall, but I've seen larger in rescue :D. Piper won;t have reached adult size yet -- that height and only 16 lbs would be very lanky. He would still be adding weight for many months (probably for a few more months, then gradually after about 12 months, up to 18-24 months or so as males tend to continue to fill out a bit) though he is close to having reached his final height. :)

Murphy is 15 inches and three-quarters at the shoulder, and weighs in at roughly 23 pounds. He's always been tall, long and lanky. His ribs never "sprung" despite the fact he's now five, so he doesn't have a waist, he's just our "sausage":D

murph2.jpg

He looks very thin in his winter jacket
Photo0015.jpg

Photo0020.jpg

Bentley will be 5 months old tomorrow. Ten days ago he weighed 13.5 lbs at vet's office. I'll try to measure his height when he wakes up from his morning nap! On a side note, dumb question, but how do you make a cavalier's tail fluffy as in some pics I've seen? Bentley's is tightly wound. Is this something a groomer would do if asked, or is it just an individual characteristic?

Max is 14" and he weighs between 18 and 19 pounds (closer to 19 now but with the nicer weather we'll be more active). He went up to 22 pounds last winter and that was definitely overweight for him. Interestingly enough my own vet thought his weight was okay but two others I took him to when I was worried about an injury (one was a chiropractor) told me to get some weight off of him after determining that there was no apparent physical reason for his decrease in activity.

Rylie is 12.5" and as of yesterday just over 14 pounds.

I think they are both pretty good weights for their height and bone structure.

Re: Piper

Same here. Our Bentley is no show dog but he sure shows off for us! If I measured correctly he's almost 21" long from the spot on his head to where his tail starts. Granted, that's when he's stretched out in his "down" position. That seems like a lot and it's hard to do because he'd rather play with the yardstick than be measured. And, I think about 12 1/2" tall at the shoulder. This seems disproportionate compared to others' numbers.

On a side note, dumb question, but how do you make a cavalier's tail fluffy as in some pics I've seen? Bentley's is tightly wound. Is this something a groomer would do if asked, or is it just an individual characteristic?

Don't worry, it will unfurl on it's own. Murphy's was exactly the same at that age, all wrapped up tight:eek:

Here's a photo of him with his little tail, he was all legs back then
Murphy28.jpg

Last edited:
Skippy is about 21 pounds, almost 23 months old, and about 13.5 inches up to his front shoulder.

Jack is 13 inches at the shoulder and from base of neck to tail 16 inches long, weight ~21 pounds. I am often told he is a big cavalier, but I think many of the ones here in NYC are often on the smaller side often weighing 10-15 lbs. Either way I love my "big boy":l*v:

mimi just wants to play with the tape measure but i got a quick glance and she is around 13" high and last time she was weighed which was at 8 months she was 17 lbs which i thought was quite big but looking at her she looks about right, she is inface 10 months now and im not sure what she weighs right now as i only go on the vets scales and we are not due back for another month.

Holly is 10.5" tall at the shoulders but has a really long body for her short size! She is longer then she is tall. She is tipping the scales at 12.8 lbs!

Blitz is 11.5" tall at the shoulder & IMO very well proportioned. If he didn't have medical conditions keeping him looking poorly I think he would be stunning! He is still a little thin at 13 lbs.

Flash is 14" tall and somewhere close to 18lbs. He is very active & fit. Not "skinny" but very in shape.

Harley is 16 inch at the shoulder. Even as a puppy someone ask me if he was a Cavalier.

If I measured correctly he's almost 21" long from the spot on his head to where his tail starts.

I think maybe you are not comparing like with like? Try measuring collar to base of tail, that is what most people measure and will give you a better idea. A back measurement of 21" would be VERY long.

It doesn't matter whether he's a show dog, he is very much loved and adored and obviously very beautiful on the inside and that's what matters the most :l*v::l*v:

Back