• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

it seems our dog has been up to no good...

I was recently chatting to a neighbour who informed us that when we leave in the morning everyday our dog barks relentlessly for around 1 1/2 hours. He said they don't hear him barking at any other time. There is nothing WORSE than a barking dog! He is 9 years old and over the past few years has started barking more and more and I knew he barked when we left the house (seperation anxiety) but was unaware that he just kept going and going.
He spends quite a lot of time outside so I thought I might try to put him inside when we leave and see if this makes a difference but as I drove off this morning I could hear him barking from inside the house.
I need HELP!!!

Do you give him a treat as you leave? Every dog is different, but if you can keep him distracted and happy for a little while after you leave he may skip the barking behavior and settle down.

I give mine each a piece of chicken jerky, it only lasts a few seconds, but they're happy and it works for us.

You may need something that distracts longer, treats in a dispenser, or a chewy treat (be careful, dogs can choke on greenies and similar treats), something that needs to be manipulated to lick the peanut butter off...

You could try leaving a radio on, so that there are voices in the house, not complete silence. A kong or similar stuffed with treats may help (as already suggested). If the cause is separation anxiety, a couple of drops of Bach's Rescue remedy might help to relax him - when you have time, after giving him the RR, you could try leaving for a few minutes and, if there is no sound, going back and making a fuss of him, and repeat this several times to reinforce that being quiet gets rewarded.

Dogs don't have much conception of length of time, so I think endless barking just becomes a habit - he's not spending all the time worrying because you've left; he may just be bored. It may also be partly due to his age - I've noticed as Oliver (nearly 10) gets older, he's barking a bit more often, but his is usually because he wants something - 'I want it, and I want it NOW!!' Before, he would just sit looking hopeful, now he's a demanding old man!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back