• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What size is your dog collar?

BrooklynMom

This is a very material question (I am a posting queen today!) but, how thick is your dogs collar? I cannot seem to find the right thickness for a new collar for Brooklyn and I am confused. Right now her little puppy collar is thin...its 1cm. I am looking at a new one that is 2 cm. Is that too thick do you think?
I am just curious as to what you all have because I just feel like I cannot find a thickness that doesn't make her fur go funny on her neck or seem too small/big.

Anyway...just curious! :eek:

I think most people on this forum use a harness for their Cavaliers rather than a collar - more comfortable, and also (just in case SM looms in the future!) less stressful for the neck. You can get harnesses where the lead clips on at the back, and those where the lead clip is on the chest. I think you will find lots of info about all sorts of harnesses in the 'Shopping' section, or do a search for 'Harnesses'.

Both my dogs also wear a light nylon collar all the time with their ID disc on it - as well as my surname and phone number (NOT their names) it tells people that they are microchipped so that if they do get stolen or lost people realise they can be traced. Some people think wearing a collar all the time is dangerous as it can catch on things, but I've never had a problem - the collar fits snugly and is buried in their neck ruff, and even Oliver, who dives into hedges and through undergrowth, has never been caught in anything!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I walk dogs on harnesses but they wear either half inch or 3/4 or 5/8inch soft collars -- I like Lupine collars. www.petexpectations.com has loads of current and discontinued Lupine patterns as well as other lovely soft fabric collars. Some like soft leather rolled collars. The woman who runs Petexpectations.com will ship internationally and is so nice! Great service. The Lupines last forever, are washable, and you can buy a few for variety and move the tags around. I have different pattern for each dog. :D

Thanks for the feedback!
Just to note...I walk her on a harness too, I was just talking about her "regular" collar (the one she wears all the time with i.d. tags etc.).

Thinking 2 cm might be too big for a regular collar. Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming! :)

Oh, and thanks Karlin, I love when people post sites that ship internationally!! We need it here in Oz ;)

Mimi has a 2cm collar that she wears with her tag on and she seems fine with the size, it is a lightweight leather and she has never seemed to have any problems with it getting caught or it being uncomfortable on her most of the time i dont think she realises she has it on. At the moment she is almost 10 months and we are mixing her walking with a head collar, her regular collar during some training and with a harness for most of the walks where she goes in the car. Before we got her new collar she was wearing a small leather one with a plastic clasp to get her used to wearing one which was very light weight puppy one.

Back