• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

When my pup gets excited

Alli

she often tries to bite at peoples hands/fingers when they pet her.

Is there any way I can teach her not to do this.

Thanks.

This is normal for puppies and working with her now while she is a puppy is one of the most important parts of dog training.

There are lots of links pinned at the top of the training section to sites which all have sheets on training bite inhibition. Kep in mind one aspect is to avoid getting her overexcited in the first place -- kids especially can run around and get a puppy to a very overexcited nipping state and this needs to be avoided. Puppies need time outs just like kids and a puppy should have somewhere like an xpen (puppy playpen) where he can go to be away from reaching hands and too much stimulation and attention.

I'd also recommend immediately downloading the FREE copy of renowned trainer Dr Ian Dunbar's book After You Get Your Puppy as this will take you through every step of puppy/dog training and behaviour in the *right*, rewards based way so that you end up with the adult dog you want. :D

Download the book here: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/dog-star-daily-declares-january-shelter-dog-prevention-month

and also the Dunbar website, www.dogstardaily.com, is FULL of training advice and videos. So is www.dogspelledforward.com

Karlin, thank you for the info and links it's very much appreciated.

I will get a good read at them tonight.

One thing that works well with puppies is to distract them when someone comes up to pet, try feeding her a treat or two so that her mouth is pre occupied. Also let people know that if she starts to nip at them to please stand all the way up until you calm her down again. Soon your pup should learn that if she nips she doesn't get pet anymore!

My puppy does the same thing. She bites my nose and face whenever she is feeling excited. It really hurts! I am working on breaking her of this habit.

Back