PDA

View Full Version : Monica Segal breed booklets on sale to benefit rabies challenge fund

Karlin
28th April 2011, 06:21 PM
Breed Booklet Sale Continues
http://www.monicasegal.com/catalog/breedstore.php

In an effort to support the Rabies Challenge Fund, we put breed booklets on sale for $5.95 (regular price: $7.95) last month. Thanks to your response, we’ve decided to do it again this month. Our breed booklets are limited in supply, so be sure to order the one you want because we can’t guarantee it’ll be available later. Thank you for caring about this study and helping us to play a small part in supporting it. The Rabies Challenge Fund is a critical study supported by a grass roots effort rather than corporations. If you’ve never heard of this study, you can read about it here:
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

Her booklets are great and there's one on cavaliers, with diet ideas.

I strongly recommend her free newsletters too -- this month's has a really important discussion on why people should not just add supplements blindly... you might be surprised at the side effects and unintended consequences of some natural remedies. For example:

Q: My dog is taking prednisone for an autoimmune disease and she’s taking Lasix for her heart. I know I can’t stop prednisone but I want to replace Lasix with something because she has calcium oxalate crystals now and a friend told me that Lasix can cause that. Parsley is a diuretic. How much can I give her?
A: She shouldn’t have parsley because it’s high in oxalate, but frankly, there’s no way to give a dog enough parsley for it to act as effivtively as Lasix. Trying parsley instead risks her heart even if she didn’t have the calcium oxalate crystals. You didn’t mention her diet, and that’s where I would focus. A home-prepared, low oxalate diet that is heart and kidney friendly can be quite helpful.

Q: I own a beautiful Husky that developed flakey skin. I know this is because of the zinc deficiency in Huskies and I give him 50 mg every day. Is that enough?

A: Huskies can have a genetic glitch that causes a zinc deficiency, but observation of the skin won’t tell you anything definitive. The condition needs to be diagnosed by a veterinarian. Simply assuming this is the case risks never knowing if there’s a different problem and being able to address it, and the amount of zinc is risky as well. Zinc is a critical component for health, but adverse affects of over-supplementing includes hemolytic anemia and hypotension as well as jaundice. Zinc also impacts the absorption of copper, iron and calcium, so supplementing without knowing the true cause behind your observations can have a severe impact on the health and even the life of your dog.

You can sign up for the newsletter on her website.

Nicki
28th April 2011, 09:42 PM
Thank you for sharing that Karlin, I have the booklet and it is very good, well researched.

I think that the link to the breed store has been changed, it's now http://www.monicasegal.com/catalog/productindex.php?cPath=23_35

It's fantastic that Monica is donating the money to the rabies challenge fund :*nana: I know Monica is a member, so if she sees this, :thnku::thnku::thnku:

Mindysmom
28th April 2011, 11:13 PM
I have the booklet as well and find it very helpful. I rely mostly on her advice for supplements and appreciate how she has Cavalier specific recommendations.

Soushiruiuma
29th April 2011, 01:43 AM
Wow. Thats great, I might buy one of three packs. They look really useful.

Karlin
29th April 2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the correct link Nicki -- somehow an extra letter crept into the URL and I fixed it so the first link should work now too. :)

I got one of the three packs a while back and they are quite handy.