• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisy at Emergency Vet 4.30

Brian M

Daisy has swallowed something and whatever it is it is stuck in her throat .I
was nailing up some plastic netting on a fence panel and am fearful its one of
those u shaped nails ,She is chewing and pawing at her jaw the vets cannot see
her till 4.30 pm is there anything I can do now to help ,I have probed around
inside her mouth with my fingers but cant feel anything.
Thanks

I would get her to an emergency vet or try every other available vet -- that CANNOT wait if there is even the remote possibility it is a U-shaped nail. Her life may depend on immediate action.

Tks already phoned 4 others no luck have more to try ,she has settled and in fact
has dozed off and is snoring as normal for her so if no good with others vets I will have to stay where I am till 4 and hope she stays asleep .When I phoned my vet at 1 he was there but just said to receptionist who kows me "closing for lunch earliest will be 4.30 " so we will have words .

It's possible she may have some of the plastic netting caught between her teeth, check the roof of the mouth one of mine had a stick caught across there between the teeth.
Think I would have just gone down to the vet and banged on the door!!!! Not good enough when its an emergency.
Ruth

Hi

No other vets available so no option but to wait but Daisy is still asleep .We had been out all morning so the girls have had no naps so at least they are all quiet and Daisy can do no further harm to herself .I am furious with the Vets but apart from having strong words my only other option is to change Vets but I have been with this group of five Vets for many years and the ones I normally ask to see are fine so should I look elsewhere .
As I was going outside at 12.30 my words to Dawn were "Its like having three two year olds with you outside as one of them is always doing something they shouldn't and I need eyes in the back of my head " how true but I enjoy the company .Shes awake and gnawing again I am going up now.

Hi

She's OK .:) Just as we were about to leave she came to me climbed up on my knee so I started gently stroking her head to calm her down then I curled back her lips on the side she was pawing at and at the very back lodged between her back two molars I could see something green .I slowly and gently prised it out with my fingers and what came away was a large piece of jagged plastic .Its the green plastic sleeve that loops over a masonry nail ,so she had chewed that and not the nail THE LITTLE HORROR ,why is it always DAISY it must be that name. After a big hug shes fast asleep so I shall cancel the Vets ,though still have words ,take them all out for a walk and give them a special tea followed by chilled melon and strawberries.
Thank you all ,as always in an emergency you look to CT and its members for help ,thanks again .:):thnku:

OMG this is so frightening! I feel as if we are hearing all this horrid stories of our sweet cavies eating things they should not. I am being extra vigilent on watching Jack. THey are such little piggies and put everything in their mouths. I am so very pleased to hear Daisy's situation ended nicely. Give her extra hugs from Jack and I.

I am so pleased you managed to find out what Daisy`s problem was Brian, you must have been so worried!
Poor Daisy, I`m sure she didn`t mean to worry you.

I'm just reading this now and was dreading reading about what may have unfolded during the afternoon. Thank goodness you found what was causing Daisy's discomfort and all is well. Whew!!

Whew!!!! So glad you found the problem!!!

keep an eye on her just in case she swallowed some too... but sooooo glad she is fine. Daisy must be kin to Gracie... I need a 1000 eyeballs to watch her!

I'm so glad Daisy is okay!

All the problems with dogs ingesting things here on the CTboard remind me to keep an eye on our Sophie. She's outgrown that tendency to put anything in her mouth, but I still should not trust her.

Glad Daisy is ok. That is terrible that your vet wouldn't see you, and you would be one of his best customers with all your girls. I would be having words too.

Whew. :)

It is like having a toddler- a perpetual toddler. Can't leave 'em alone for a minute! :shifty:

Oh my, thank the Lord.

I swear, it is a BIG reminder to us all. I have taken SOOO many things out of Claire's mouth, and recently it was a piece of plastic that looked like the back door of a remote, but we could never figure it out.

I actually get scared taking her to my folks sometimes because they are ALWAYS dropping things on the floor and not realizing, like paperclips and whatnot.

Gives me heart attacks, that is for sure.

I can't believe you don't have an emergency Vet local. Thank goodness you figured it out.

Thank God Daisy is ok.
Lucky you kept so calm; I would have been a nervous rack. The vets I just changed too are there 24 hours 365 days a year.

Back