• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Groomer Expressed Anal Glands Incorrectly?

DSB Cavs

I had my two Cavaliers groomed on Friday and my male has been scooting around on the carpet and licking himself. He seems rather agitated too. Is it possible that the groomer expressed his anal glands incorrectly? Is there anything I can do today to make him more comfortable? I'm going to make an appt with the vet in the morning.

I was told by the vet just the other day that many groomers express them from the outside which can cause more harm than good. The vets (or vet techs) do it from the inside, which empties them better.

Your vet may be a little biased if he/she charges a fee for this service. :) :) I'll wait to hear what others have to say too. I spoke to the groomer today. She is very well known in the community and has a good reputation. She said that his glands were full and that he may need to have them expressed from the inside method. She said to give it a few days. He is not as agitated today. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

Your groomer probably expressed them correctly. There are 2 methods, one done externally, and one done internally. Vets will always do the internal method, it's more thorough; but the skin of the rectum is very fragile and can be tear easily, this can be extremely dangerous or fatal if not taken care of immediately. So most groomers will do them externally, which isn't as good at emptying the glands, but also isn't dangerous.

I do both my two myself from the outside that is. It's really quite easy I check them every time I give them a bath. So far I haven't had a problem. My last Cav used to have them done every couple of months at the vets. I didn't know how to do them then.

Back