• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gunky Eyes

SophieLightyear

I've noticed recently that my Benji always seems to have gunky eyes. It's kind of like the eye gunk people sometimes get. He also sometimes finds it hard to open one of his eyes when he just wakes up. At the moment we're cleaning his eyes when he wakes up to get rid of the gunk.
Does anyone know whats causing this or what i can do to help him because sometimes the gunk actually gets stuck to his eye!

Hi Sophie
My advice would be to take Benji to your vet. My girl, Spangle had horrible gunky eyes and has now been diagnosed with Dry Eye and has to have lotion put in twice a day.
Of course this may not be the same with Benji, but I would never hesitate with eye problems.
It would be worth looking at some of the posts here about eye problems, I have learnt such a lot from Cavaliertalk!
Let us know how you get on?

Hi Sophie!
Ruby has been this way since I rescued her as a puppy. Her's is clear/white-ish and easy to remove. Is that how Benji's is too? I'm not a vet, so maybe you should ask yours, but I have consulted my vet(s) (even an Opthamologist!) and they said it's totally normal. :)
I do notice her little eye area does get a bit stinky when it gets dried on, so I take a warm wash cloth in the morning and clean her little face. Maybe try that? But, be sure to ask the vet first just in case it's allergies or dry eye like Spangly mentioned!

Benji had a trip to the vets this morning for a free six month good health check up and i told the vet about his eyes. She said she wanted to do the test for dry eye but Benji wouldn't sit still for long enough, so we're going to keep an eye on it for now and hopefully get him used to sitting for longer periods of time without moving. So hopefully we'll know if it's dry eye or not.

Back