• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lessons learned for IBS or allergy-related colitis...thanks to all!

GraciesMom

I thought I would share this with others who may have Cavs with chronic food allergies or irritable bowel. Each dog is different but it took us several frustrating weeks to get real improvement so that Gracie is absorbing her food and has solid poop!:*nana:
First, the bland diet of boiled ground beef and rice was not helping... and cottage cheese also did not help things improve. So we kept slowly changing that to find out that boiled lamb and rice worked. Lesson learned... dairy and beef were allergens for her.

Second, she did well on the bland diet until we added more than a small amount of quality limited ingredient lamb/rice kibble.... then it would go back to being a bit soft and way too much poop. Tried a second kibble....same thing. Lesson learned: She has trouble digesting processed foods except for a hydrolyzed vet version full of crap....but too hard to get her to eat it.

Third, we slowly started her on raw food diet, using frozen medallions made by Nature's Variety, which are balanced meals. Very good ingredients. Since she has been low on B12, we especially loved that it includes organ meat (liver, lung), which is high in B12. BINGO!!!! This has been a lifesaver for little Gracie. Not only does she LOVE it, it has made world of difference in her digestive system. Picture perfect poop every time and much less of it! :biggrin:

Another thing we did was take her off all flagyl as it was NOT helping since this is diet related issue. Instead, we added some quality probiotics that she gets two times a day.

Just wanted to share this and send a thank you from Gracie for everyone who supported us and helped us diagnose the problem.

Great news about Gracie, and I am sure even better news for you who has the clean up challenge!

And I'm sure seeing her feeling better is reward in itself.

Back