• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Feeding Once a Day

Zumie05

Just wondering if it is a terrible idea to feed my dog once a day instead of 2 - 3x? Coco is and always has been a finicky eater. She tends to eat the best in the evenings. I still offer her food in the morning, she sniffs it and then walks away. I put it away 10 minutes later. At dinner I just give her a bit extra to compensate for the amount she did not eat earlier - and am VERY strict about treats and human food. Days she doesn't eat a good breakfast I have started to not give out any treats at all just to make sure she will not rely on treats to get her fill.

I was thinking about just skipping the morning meal offer all together? Or any other suggestions? And yes, I have tried many different foods. She loves the new food for a day or two then gets picky about it again. I have only swapped food 4 times, she is 9 months old. I don't want her to get the idea I will change her food every other day!

I was thinking about just skipping the morning meal offer all together? Or any other suggestions? And yes, I have tried many different foods. She loves the new food for a day or two then gets picky about it again. I have only swapped food 4 times, she is 9 months old. I don't want her to get the idea I will change her food every other day![/QUOTE]
I don't think you can skip the morning meal as I think that's the important meal. Why have you swapped food 4 times and she's only 9 months old. It's not good to change their food that often. If she doesn't get her food on the morning she will be starving by the evening. What food are you feeding her?

In my job I have seen a few dogs who dont eat well in the mornings yet eat a full meal in the afternoon feed, for those we still offered them the morning feed but a smaller amount - sometimes dogs can feel overfaced & sometimes they can be like us & just dont want to eat early. lucy went through a stage of 'messing' with her breakfast, once i started taking it away when she wandered off she soon got the idea!

I too think 4 times in 9 months is quite a lot of change, did you change because she is picky or for other reasons?

I know having a fussy dog can be a right pain in the bum, i had a chinese crested years ago who was very picky & he would drive me up the wall!!! With him i took him for a walk before his breakfast so he built up an appetite & the same in the evening, that seemed to work for him, he would pretty much only eat 'butchers tripe'.

1st food she was on from the breeder and I went with continuing that for 1 bag. 2nd food she was on was one of my choice, Ziwi Peak. 3rd food was a urinary tract diet from the vet due to crystals in her urine. 4th food was home made food due to possible liver problems. Right now she is still eating the vet diet for urinary tract health mixed with home made for low protein (oatmeal, cottage cheese, etc).

The thing is, right from the very beginning she has always not been a morning eater. I am guilty of hand feeding her and what not as a very young puppy because I was overly worried about her not eating enough to grow. Now at 9 months old her growth has slowed, so I am getting more strict. Today she still walked away from my breakfast offer... so I picked it up.

Hope that clarifies!!!

Last edited:
.Many people only feed their dogs once a day. I am one that has always done AM and PM. It came in handy when I had a dog who became diabetic and required two feedings and insulin shots.

They say it's healthier to feed twice, but if she isn't going to eat, then you have to do what you have to do.

I see now you explained. I just thought 4 times was a lot. I Made the same mistake with my last dog, Sam, he was such a fussy eater. The only was I could get him to eat kibble was to put a tiny bit of cat food in it. It was only tiny too. Then he would eat the lot. I used to hand feed him too. Big mistake that was. He would never eat bones either just chase the flies off them!
Have you ever tried soaking her kibble in warm water and let it cool then see if she will it then? Sam would eat our food but wasn't so keen on his own!
Are you not worried she might not be getting enough food?

Back