• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is Your Veterinarian Killing Your Dog?

Thanks for posting this Rod. This is something that I firmly believe in..pets are being over vaccinated. After doing alot of research of this topic on my own, I have made the decision to not vaccinate my pets any further. My 4 strictly indoor cats (ages range from 7-9) have never had a vaccination. My cavalier had her shots as a puppy (she is now 2) and the only vaccine I've done in the past year has been a 3 years rabies shot as it is required here by law.I may do a titer test in a few years. It seems like all the people I speak to who have long lived dogs are those who do not do all the vaccinations (like when we get the 'reminder time for vaccination!" postcards in the mail from our vet) and their pets seem to be all the healthier for it. I have a customer at work who's lab just turned 19. Amazing for a large dog! She has never been vaccinated. I understand concerns if you have a dog that is often boarded, around alot of other animals, etc but this is not my situation. I would like to bring Polly to a doggy daycare on occasion just for her to have fun if I am out for the day, but they all require bordatella every 6 months. It's just not work the risks for me and she will not be attending.

Realize this is a controversial topic....but agree we overdo it in US

Can't get the link to work right now but great topic Rod. The USA especially requires too much, too often. Unless I have a need to board Gracie with unknown kennel dogs... many of these not needed. I have to get the rabies update by law but taking a very close look at the other updates...just as Erin has done.

Related to this, Gracie has finally found healing from chronic colitis due to irritable bowel by using natural treatments and raw food. Nothing the regular vets suggested worked well at all for 6 weeks. He kept trying to treat the bacterial issue and not the root cause... diet. Found a great holistic approach vet who prescribed natural remedy dosed with a dropper. Combined with raw food diet, she is doing better than ever!!! Has an appetite in the morning...which was very rare. Less gunk in her eyes.

The holistic vet is traditionally trained but believes in using natural remedies and treatments whenever possible. He said to skip the bordatella vaccine and only do it if we know boarding is coming up. He also believes that many vaccines last much longer than stated and do not need to be repeated as often as most vets require, including rabies. Sadly, we must give her a rabies shot this summer.

Last edited:
He kept trying to treat the bacterial issue and not the root cause... diet.
Unfortunately, most vets only know what they were taught in vet school, and what the sales reps tell them afterward. JMO. They're probably too busy and too tired, for the most part, to hang out in raw food forums *and* don't want to risk recommending it, then risk getting sued by a pet owner whose dog got salmonella, or the owner thinks that what it was. You know what I mean.... But I don't want to hijack this thread.....

I get a 3-year rabies shot for Sophie. I had read it's the same strength & dose as the annual, except they charge more for it. I honestly don't know if that is the truth, but every three years is fine with me. Sophie is out in public often, encounters other dogs, and I'll get her the minimum required rabies, parvo, distemper shots. I've avoided the lepto shot, though, since Sophie is always on leash and I don't let her drink from puddles. With the internet, we consumers are becoming better informed and educated.

While i do think often pets are overvaccinated i will continue to vaccinate mine - especialy working where i do) as too many people dont vaccinate at all & if you have ever watched a dog die from parvo (which i have on MANY occasions) you'll know why.

While i do think often pets are overvaccinated i will continue to vaccinate mine - especialy working where i do) as too many people dont vaccinate at all & if you have ever watched a dog die from parvo (which i have on MANY occasions) you'll know why.

Is titer testing available where you live?

Thanks Rod

Guess their website was down for a bit. Working now. My new vet would agree with this 100%. Parvo is the only vaccine he suggests repeating but just not as often. The others only if the dog goes to kennels with unknown dogs on a regular basis. He believes as this article states that the followup vaccines can sometimes cancel out the benefit of the initial ones.

Can't get the link to work right now but great topic Rod. The USA especially requires too much, too often. Unless I have a need to board Gracie with unknown kennel dogs... many of these not needed. I have to get the rabies update by law but taking a very close look at the other updates...just as Erin has done.

Related to this, Gracie has finally found healing from chronic colitis due to irritable bowel by using natural treatments and raw food. Nothing the regular vets suggested worked well at all for 6 weeks. He kept trying to treat the bacterial issue and not the root cause... diet. Found a great holistic approach vet who prescribed natural remedy dosed with a dropper. Combined with raw food diet, she is doing better than ever!!! Has an appetite in the morning...which was very rare. Less gunk in her eyes.

The holistic vet is traditionally trained but believes in using natural remedies and treatments whenever possible. He said to skip the bordatella vaccine and only do it if we know boarding is coming up. He also believes that many vaccines last much longer than stated and do not need to be repeated as often as most vets require, including rabies. Sadly, we must give her a rabies shot this summer.

I totally agree...your vet sounds just like mine. Polly is also on a raw diet and I give her some other supplements and she is in great health. Eating a healthy diet can also do great things to boost the immune system and help fight off sickness naturally.

You know the sad part of all this.....? Our pet insurance companies require us to keep 'up to date' on vaccinations.

How do we education them?

You know the sad part of all this.....? Our pet insurance companies require us to keep 'up to date' on vaccinations.

How do we education them?

What pet insurance company do you use? I have Pet Plan, I've never had them ask me about vaccinations. I just know that they will not treat an animal that has contracted an illnesses that a vaccine could have protected them from if they owner did not vaccinate (like rabies, parvo etc).

Last edited:
You know I have wondered about this and I remember on one of the SM forums talking about rabies shots even being too much. Bortetella (can't spell) one for kennel cough required for day care can be harmful too?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I've heard that when they give it through the nose (intranasal) it is better/safer than a shot. This is what they gave to Polly last year. I've heard of a few bad reactions (she did not show any) I just hate the thought of putting all these chemicals etc into her little self. I suppose this would be the only one I would consider giving if I had to..her groomer is opening a big fancy daycare this year that I'm sure she would enjoy it. The more I think of it, the more torn I am. I guess I'm gonna have to look more into the Bordatella...icon_nwunsure

Last edited:
Bortetella (can't spell) one for kennel cough required for day care can be harmful too?

I had not heard that. I suppose any dog can react to anything, just like people. I've never met a facility that didn't require the kennel cough vaccination. It doesn't cover all strains, but the facilities probably don't need the reputation of having an epidemic, either.

More on Bordatella vaccine

I think the issue is similar for all vaccines. They use live virus to make bordatella vaccine and some dogs can actually get a case of the virus from the vaccine, but the bigger issue is that the vaccines are lasting longer in their systems than stated. The booster vaccine could start to interact with the first one... with the potential effect of neutralizing each other. This also can have a cumulative impact on general immune system of dogs. That is what the article is about and do not think bordatella is different than the others.

You think it's bad in the USA try Australia they vaccinate every year here. I do believe that they are slowly introducing a Triennial vaccine. The breeder I got my two from asked me not to get the bordetella vaccine only the one that is up the nose. I rang every vet in my area but not one would do that. Also like other people have said how do you do that with insurance companies requiring them to have regular vaccinations. I have pet plan. Mine have had their annual booster but I really want to do this Triennal one.

Is your vet killing your dog?

Have you seen The Rabies Challenge site? Lots of great info:

http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

Here is a great article from Dr. Jean Dodds regarding vaccination:

http://www.cavalierboard.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=24062

IS YOUR VET KILLING YOUR DOG?

Could I mention that I am the Bet Hargreaves mentioned in the Purdue Vaccination Article.

Our Ailsa , who was coping fine with her Heart Condition ,was 7, when she had her last Booster, within a month of having it ,her Heart Problem suddenly worsened and she died shortly after-wards.

I started to collect pedigrees of other Cavaliers already suffering from Heart Trouble, who also within a Month of their Vaccination their Heart Condition suddenly got a lot worse and they had died shortly after-wards .

I collected around 100 Pedigrees of Cavaliers already suffering from Heart Trouble that this had happened to.

I sent them to Dr Larry Glickman in America , you will see his reply to me ,one wee mistake was made I have never been a Cavalier Breeder ,only a Cavalier Pet Owner.

If I also could mention ,that Dr Lars Geiger in America ,wrote a Veterinary Paper saying that the Parvo Part of the Combined Vaccine gives a Fever for about a Couple of days ,is it possible this could be giving those Cavaliers already with a Heart Problem who could be Genetically Susceptible are Predisposed to an Allergic Reaction from their Vaccinations.

Bet

Hi

Below are part of the terms and conditions as stated in the AXA Pet Insurance
booklet so as you see if we don't get the boosters as recommended by our Vet
we could not be covered .I know many of us in the UK use AXA so what can we
do ,I also strongly disagree with yearly injections .

" You must ensure that Your Pet has
received the required vaccinations,
failure to comply with this may jeopardise
Your claim or cover – please refer to the
General Conditions in the Policy Booklet
for full details

You must ensure that Your Pet is vaccinated each year against
distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis
and parvovirus for dogs and feline
infectious enteritis, feline leukaemia
and cat flu for cats "

Help !